Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home sewer system gurggling and smell

home sewer system gurggling and smell

Having some sewer issues. First was told there was a gurgling sound and when I opened the main drain in the basement the water level was high, it actually came out and went a foot or so to either side of the drain before I got there.

I snaked it all with the heaviest snake I have and it made a bit of a difference but not enough so hired a pro company They did a good job with one of those Ridgid machines with all the diff attachments and things seemed on track. A month later im told its gurgling again and smell so hired the same guy back and he went through it all. i wasnt there but told he did his thing then called in and checked all his steps. Now hear a day later its gurgling again and the smell is even worse than before he wen there. Ive emailed them twice and will start into this again tomorrow

What am I missing or them? . The home was built in 55 and there is no schematic of what is below the home as far as I know for what is below the home. Never had any issues ever but it did sit empty for a few years. I would expect tbey run a camera in. Is that the correct next step?

thanks

w

Does it freeze where ever you live. Tree roots, orangeburg pipe?
    Bil lD

A belly in the line, all sorts of obstructions.. if it was septic, also leech field. A camera's a good thing, I think.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

freezes and snow but home is well heated. No septic its on town. Left vacant for a bit. One huge tree out back. black Locust I think monster but never in the past had issues with it and cedars at the side likely 40 feet tall now run almost the full length of the yard block out all the other homes.

Since a pro guy has snaked it would he not find roots with that rotating chomping thin, they have a choice of five or ten front things. I dont get it but asked them about a camera so will see what they say. I did check the vent tubes out the roof and had run a snake in and poured water down a month or more ago before freezing and it all flowed nicely but I still wonder about that a bit. Gurgling is a sign I just dont know how to read it. I learn stuff as i go, roof rebuilds etc but this im not sure about. There is also an area of concrete floor broken where the town put a new water meter in, I broke up the area say 15" round and its a bit hollow under the concrete floor. I think I shoiuld concrete that in as it cant be positive. Maybe it back how it was, seems odd the main copper water line line just came up through the concrete with no protection around it. I dont think its involved, just dont see positive if any air can come up from under the concrete floor that otherwise was sealed off before.

Have you checked the vent stack for obstructions. All sewers pass gas, just like humans. And same as humans, it's better passed quietly. Instead of a snake, try a Drain King. It's bladder that attaches to end of garden hose, and then it' pushed into sewer main. Turn on water, bladder inflates, sealing it's self inside pipe. flapper on the end allows water to pass, creating both pressure and viberations, which most time will free up obstruction, unless it's roots. The Borgs carry "Drain Kings."

My Dad’s old house had to be roto rooted every other year or so. Saw it done there several times and also at my son in laws. They always came up with roots wrapped around the cutter when they retrieved it. Houses in my neighborhood built in the 50’s are starting to have iron sewer lines that collapse. Not sure if that helps.

I've been involved in this problem before.
    1) My house: I remember the City coming to snake the outflow when I was a little lad, and the tree roots that came out.
    2) During my career as a contractor, I was often called upon as part of a remodel to get the drains cleared. At first, I called my plumber for the drainage crew to come in.
    I soon found, though, that I had to call in the "big guns" - the City Works crew. More expensive, but these crews have the blueprints for the outfalls and the gear to REALLY clean the pipes.
    Never had a callback when they came out.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Gurgling is a sign I just dont know how to read it.
    As long as there isn't a raspy voice whispering, "get out."

You may have a situation where a root has caused your drain pipe to shift. This could even cause a belly as one post mentioned. You could have a situation where there is a small underground area that is draining slowly and causing the gurgling sound.

You may be able to get a map from your local water district showing how the sewers in your area are running. They could drop some dye in your toilet, flush it and someone at an access point can watch for the dye to indicate your flow and such.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Gurgling makes me suspect a venting issue. Sounds like you've already checked that though. Beyond that it starts to get hard and expensive. A camera can be useful; I'd be consulting with a good plumber in addition to the line cleaning guys. Many of them only know how to do one thing and don't know what to try next.

Blog Entries
    It sounds like your tank is full and cannot drain because of a failed leach field. Drain cleaners and other chemicals can kill the bacteria in the tank that do the work. It is recommended that septic tanks get pumped every 3-5 years depending upon the number of people using the system. When was the last time yours was pumped?

Pumping it will tell you if it is a septic tank and leach field or a cistern type system.

Leach fields do not last forever. Systems in sandy soils and gravel last much longer than those installed in heavy clay soil. It also depends on how well the contractor constructed the original system. How old is your field?

Before you do any work to repair your system other than pumping, contact your local health department. Here in PA, there are restrictions on what you can and cannot do to existing systems. They fine you if you do work that is not approved and make you build an approved system.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    It sounds like your tank is full and cannot drain…
    Lee, This was one of my first thoughts until seeing this in the OP's second post:

No septic its on town.
    It was easy to miss.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

thanks all very much for your thoughts and experience. Drain company said they will come back today snake and camera. No Septic on that home.

Do have a place with a septic. The main street in this town has flooded twice since ive lived here and people on town sewers had raw sewage back up into their homes, heard some four feet deep. Im on a septic no issues. that was one time I was glad to be on a septic. Know now when people hook up they put back flow preventers in.

Thanks for all the replys you are a wealth of common sense and experience. Will let the drain people do their thing and see what they find.

w

My current house had to be snaked every year due to back ups. A couple years ago, I got fed up and had them run a camera down the line, for $100. They found where two pipes had shifted and the 4 inch pipe had only 2 inches of clearance at the joint. For another $100, they ran a widget with a radio transmitter, so they could tell me where in the yard the shift was, and how deep. 15 minutes later with a shovel, and I can see where one pipe had sunk at a Fernco fitting. A week later, a borrowed backhoe, 10' of pipe, and some fittings, and I have two cleanouts and no more shifted pipes. And no more blockages

Offset.jpg

My previous house had both a tree root problem and a low spot in the line where stuff would collect and eventually plug the line (fortunately the city required back flow preventers). I just had the sewer people come once a year and that usually prevented back ups. Unfortunately, there the sewer pipe was 9 feet down and under trees, so a yearly clean out was cheaper than repair. Plus I didn't want to find out what else was wrong with my 100 year old sewer. When I had a new waterline run, I found out that the lead pipe supplying my house also was supplying my neighbor's house. They ended up being required to get a new water service also. The guys doing the water service said it also wasn't uncommon to tie more than one house's sewer together.

As others have mentioned, I suggest you check the drain vents as it sounds like they might have some blockage.

thanks for all the additional thoughts and info.

by drain vents you mean the pipes that go up through the roof? think so, One was the original 3 or 4" then a second bathroom was added and that one had the 2" or whatever it is go to the roof on its own. No issue for 50 years. Is there a better way to check them I did my snake thing and also poured water down when it wasnt cold and as far as i could tell worked fine. They never put a screen on those and I can see fine leaves from the Locust tree in the eves and have to wonder how many may or may not have gotten in there. Advanced target practice but its possible. Thanks for the photo thats fairly nasty.