Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Recommendations on Air Sprayer and Compressor

Looking for Recommendations on Air Sprayer and Compressor

Please Delete Post, Moved to General
    Last edited by Josh Baldwin; 01-26-2021 at 9:12 PM.

Looking for Recommendations on Air Compressor and Paint Sprayer

Hey guys so I'm going to be setting up an air compressor in my small dust collection room at the new house. I've never owned a compressor but I've used a few over the years. I'm mainly using it for nail guns, but I'd also like to have a decent paint sprayer setup for quick smaller jobs when I don't feel like setting up my Graco X5 Airless.

I was hoping to get some recommendations on the compressor itself. I've read really conflicting things about the necessary CFM, PSI, etc.

I would also love some recommendations on a paint sprayer. I was hoping for a simple small container, easy to clean, etc. Again I'll only be using it to spray a few cabinets here or there, some lacquer occasionally, etc.

Last but not least if anyone has any recommendations on a good retractable hose reel that would be great. There are so many on the market, just not totally sure if some are really any better than others.

Any bonus tools that would be great to use with the compressor? So far I'm going to go with 15 Gauge Framing Nailer, 18 Gauge Brad Nailer, 23 Gauge Headless Pin Nailer, Impact Wrench and the painter, but I'm open to any great ideas that maybe I'm not thinking of.

Thanks as always for all the help!

Can't comment on anything but the hose reels. If you want a industrial grade USA made reel.
    , go with either coxreels or reelcraft, both make excellent products. A 3/8x50 cox reel model would be part# p-lp-350
    I had a guy who owned a tire shop finally break a spring on his after 17 years of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Can't comment on anything but the hose reels. If you want a industrial grade USA made reel.
    , go with either coxreels or reelcraft, both make excellent products. A 3/8x50 cox reel model would be part# p-lp-350
    I had a guy who owned a tire shop finally break a spring on his after 17 years of use.
    DAMN that's expensive! Haha. Thanks for the input. I was looking at the ones made by Dewalt and a few others for about $90. Any idea exactly what is better about the more expensive ones? Just more durability probably?

I've never sold anything but industrial grade reels so I cannot say for sure versus dewalt or others, but judging against harbor freight,etc I've seen.
    Thickness / gauge of steel, quality of metals and componentry (swivels,axles,spring canisters,ratchet pawls,or-rings,etc), machining, welds, actual testing and design for field use. Powder coating, fit / finish. Once you've have handled a expensive one you begin to really see the differences. We did once stock another lesser (still USA) made brand that ran about 80 less than a equivalent coxreels and definitely noticed small things, like the rounded rolled lips on the outside of the drums. On the coxreels they roll the outside edge completely over so if you were to touch the drum while retracting you wouldn't get cut. One the inexpensive model, they do slightly roll the edge , but not fully and it has a sharp edge. If you were to grab that while retracting you'd likely slice yourself real bad. They were also lighter in weight and you could tell the drums were made from thinner gauge metal as you could flex the outside easier.

For light homeowner use the coxreels, reelcrafts, etc are likely overkill. Although I think reelcraft came out with a part metal / composite drum reel that was supposed to be more cost effective.

If you’re going to spray, you’re going to need a LOT of CFM. That means a big pump, and usually a big tank.

And that mean big $$$ usually. You’re also going to need a good reliable way to keep oil and moisture out of the spray gun. The filters on the rack at the BORG aren’t going to be adequate.

For the limited amount of use you hint at , an HVLP is a better bet. Or even a handheld airless like the Gracos - some of which come with liners you just throw away instead of cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    If you’re going to spray, you’re going to need a LOT of CFM. That means a big pump, and usually a big tank.

And that mean big $$$ usually. You’re also going to need a good reliable way to keep oil and moisture out of the spray gun. The filters on the rack at the BORG aren’t going to be adequate.

For the limited amount of use you hint at , an HVLP is a better bet. Or even a handheld airless like the Gracos - some of which come with liners you just throw away instead of cleaning.
    Hey Dave thanks for the info. So with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Pistola...age=en_US&th=1

Am I not able to just connect it and go? I'm new to the compressor air sprayers, but it seems pretty straightforward unless I'm missing something. It says it only needs a 4.5 CFM compressor. Do you think that's just not accurate maybe? Sorry if I'm missing some stuff, just trying to understand the best route. Thanks again for the help!

Spraying these days doesn't necessarily require a huge compressor. There are LVLP (low pressure low volume) guns. Here's one that works with a 6 CFM compressor.

https://homesteadfinishingproducts.c...ray-equipment/
    QS600WB On sale $225.

Some people speak well of the Harbor Freight 'purple' gun. I imagine those require more air.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Spraying these days doesn't necessarily require a huge compressor. There are LVLP (low pressure low volume) guns. Here's one that works with a 6 CFM compressor.

https://homesteadfinishingproducts.c...ray-equipment/
    QS600WB On sale $225.

Some people speak well of the Harbor Freight 'purple' gun. I imagine those require more air.
    Thanks for the link. Any idea what the big difference would be between the one you linked and the one I linked from Amazon above? Just trying to figure out why the big price difference. I certainly don't mind spending more, just trying to figure out what the difference is. Thanks

If you intend to only spray occasionally, you might consider the 3M Accuspray system. https://www.amazon.com/3M-26580-Accu...s%2C177&sr=8-4 You can spray darned near anything with it. Minimal cleanup and minimal fuss. It does take a lot of CFM, however.

On the other end, LVLP guns can often get by with only 4 CFM, like the ones offered by Homestead Finishing and others. The HF purple gun needs a bit more, but it sprays shellac beautifully at only 20 psi and probably only needs a compressor that can make 6 or 7 cfm at 40 psi. Iwata makes a beautiful small gun that doesn't need a lot of CFM.

As for needing all kinds of filters, driers, etc., that has not been my experience. I have a 60 gal CH compressor, with nothing more than two stock pressure regulator/oil-water separators on it. I add a disposable in-line filter at the inlet to the gun. I've sprayed hundreds of gallons of WB and shellac finishes with it and have never had a contamination problem. I live in the NE, however, where our humidity can get high but it's not swamp like. What you need may depend upon where you live.

In the end, you don't need to spend a lot. Even the very low cost guns like the HF purple one, spray great. They won't last as long as an Iwata, et al, but for occasional use they are fine and so cheap that some folks consider them disposable. I got my compressor used. 10 years, zero trouble. Look around.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If you intend to only spray occasionally, you might consider the 3M Accuspray system. https://www.amazon.com/3M-26580-Accu...s%2C177&sr=8-4 You can spray darned near anything with it. Minimal cleanup and minimal fuss. It does take a lot of CFM, however.

On the other end, LVLP guns can often get by with only 4 CFM, like the ones offered by Homestead Finishing and others. The HF purple gun needs a bit more, but it sprays shellac beautifully at only 20 psi and probably only needs a compressor that can make 6 or 7 cfm at 40 psi. Iwata makes a beautiful small gun that doesn't need a lot of CFM.

As for needing all kinds of filters, driers, etc., that has not been my experience. I have a 60 gal CH compressor, with nothing more than two stock pressure regulator/oil-water separators on it. I add a disposable in-line filter at the inlet to the gun. I've sprayed hundreds of gallons of WB and shellac finishes with it and have never had a contamination problem. I live in the NE, however, where our humidity can get high but it's not swamp like. What you need may depend upon where you live.

In the end, you don't need to spend a lot. Even the very low cost guns like the HF purple one, spray great. They won't last as long as an Iwata, et al, but for occasional use they are fine and so cheap that some folks consider them disposable. I got my compressor used. 10 years, zero trouble. Look around.

John
    Thanks for all the info John. This is definitely what I was hoping to hear. I'll look into the Iwata and others you mentioned. I found one that makes 6cfm at 40psi and it's only about $300. You think that should work for most of these guns? I'd love to go with the cheap harbor freight one, but it looks like a compressor for that would be about $1000. Can you put up a link to the pressure regulator/oil-water separators and in-line filters? I have no idea what they are so I just want to see what all I need for a complete setup. Thanks a lot for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Baldwin View Post
    Thanks for all the info John. This is definitely what I was hoping to hear. I'll look into the Iwata and others you mentioned. I found one that makes 6cfm at 40psi and it's only about $300. You think that should work for most of these guns? I'd love to go with the cheap harbor freight one, but it looks like a compressor for that would be about $1000. Can you put up a link to the pressure regulator/oil-water separators and in-line filters? I have no idea what they are so I just want to see what all I need for a complete setup. Thanks a lot for your help.

I'm not suggesting this particular brand, but this is what a regulator/coalescent filter assembly looks like. https://www.amazon.com/PneumaticPlus...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The filter on the inlet to my gun looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/TCP-Global-Di...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

One of the mini Iwata guns only needs 1.8 cfm at 40 psi: https://www.amazon.com/Iwata-LPH80-1...781835&sr=8-14

They have other options, too, and their are other brands. Iwata isn't cheap, but they are very good and very durable. Overkill though for occasional use unless you just have to have one of the best.

John

Blog Entries
    I suggest you go to Lowes and Home Depot to fondle their tools. It works for me.
    Plus you can return them if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I'm not suggesting this particular brand, but this is what a regulator/coalescent filter assembly looks like. https://www.amazon.com/PneumaticPlus...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The filter on the inlet to my gun looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/TCP-Global-Di...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

One of the mini Iwata guns only needs 1.8 cfm at 40 psi: https://www.amazon.com/Iwata-LPH80-1...781835&sr=8-14

They have other options, too, and their are other brands. Iwata isn't cheap, but they are very good and very durable. Overkill though for occasional use unless you just have to have one of the best.

John
    Ok I get the filter and regulator now. Would a mini Iwata be any good for painting kitchen cabinets/furniture or would that be for just small touch ups? I was hoping to find a system with swappable tips so I don't have to buy 3 different guns. Thanks again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Baldwin View Post
    Ok I get the filter and regulator now. Would a mini Iwata be any good for painting kitchen cabinets/furniture or would that be for just small touch ups? I was hoping to find a system with swappable tips so I don't have to buy 3 different guns. Thanks again for the help!
    Any gun should have swappable tips. One of the things you'd be buying by paying for a brand name would be a better chance of being able to buy a new needle/air cap assembly if desired. One of the risks of buying something like the Harbor Freight "purple guns" is that a second"purple gun" bought a year after the first might not be compatible with the first. I own a Porter Cable PSH 1 spray gun. It is of course no longer available so it would take some research and luck to find a compatible needle/air cap assembly.