Thread: Tree of life

Tree of life

I was contacted to carve a tree of life for a church in Indiana. It’s designed to go on a 12” sq. beam spanning across the altar about 15’ up. The tree ended up 11 1/1’ across and 6’ high made
    of 20 boards. The figures average 3’ high . Made of basswood painted with acrylics. An interesting note is the scroll is from a piece of apple tree trunk the pastor kept from when he was a child playing at his grandparents orchard which happened to be adjacent to the church property but is long gone. Ironic he became pastor so many years later.

sorry about some sequence but I couldn’t get them to fall in line. I’m sure you’ll sort it out!
    The Woodworking Studio

There are supports behind the far left (Mary) and right (John) that support the branches and also index the location of the figures . Same for Jesus and Mary Magdalene. The tree is just under 2” thick and the figures are at 10” to fit on the 12” beam.
    The Woodworking Studio

Wow, absolutely stunning work Mark, you are incredibly talented.

The tree splits in half and is indexed with splines and connected with inlaid bolts and washers as I did the tree in the stickie.
    You can also see the section of apple tree trunk the pastor saved and what I sliced off to make the scroll. Also the shoulder joints on Jesus’ arms.
    The Woodworking Studio

Thank you Keith!
    The Woodworking Studio

All I can say is WOW. Amazing talent.

Tim

Thank you Tim!
    The Woodworking Studio

8. Quote Originally Posted by Tim Janssen View Post
    All I can say is WOW. Amazing talent.

Tim
    Totaly WOW!!!
    Alexander
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-08-2023 at 4:38 PM. Reason: Removed WS link

This is awesome Mark. Super inspiring. How long have you been carving for? Looks phenomenal and would love to see some more of your work!

Mark,
    You are very talented, gifted and patient to do that type of detail work. THAT IS IMPRESSIVE!!

Jim

You've been tasked with a remarkable project—a Tree of Life carving for an Indiana church. This piece, spanning a 12" sq. beam at 15' height, features a majestic 11.5' width and 6' height tree comprised of 20 basswood boards. Figures averaging 3' high are painted with acrylics. A sentimental touch comes from the pastor, who contributed a piece of apple tree trunk from his grandparents' orchard adjacent to the church's property. It's truly ironic that his path led to becoming the pastor years later. Your work carries rich history and symbolism.