Thread: Used F45

Used F45

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but I've been following the forums for quite some time. So I started with my partner a woodworking shop last year and we are looking to update, slowly our machinery. I came across a used f45 Altendorf (1998) for about 5000$ cad (3900$US). I was wondering if it would be a good deal and if so, what to look for before buying it.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Bourbeau View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum but I've been following the forums for quite some time. So I started with my partner a woodworking shop last year and we are looking to update, slowly our machinery. I came across a used f45 Altendorf (1998) for about 5000$ cad (3900$US). I was wondering if it would be a good deal and if so, what to look for before buying it.

Thanks in advance!
    In my opinion that is top dollar for a 23 year old machine. I would try wind get him down to the $3,500 range if possible. If it is in mint condition then maybe I could see $5,000. My area is probably the cheapest part of the country though. I would check arbor bearings, motor bearings and see if it starts and stops like it should. I would check the sliding table for play both up and down at full extension both ways. I would bring a dial indicator with a magnetic base and check the arbor for runout. I would also check the sliding table for parallelism with the blade. That could be done with the dial indicator w/magnetic base. Then just the normal tilt, up/down of the blade, rollers in the sliding table, scoring blade bearings, belts, motor break, ect

I assume in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    In my opinion that is top dollar for a 23 year old machine. I would try wind get him down to the $3,500 range if possible. If it is in mint condition then maybe I could see $5,000. My area is probably the cheapest part of the country though. I would check arbor bearings, motor bearings and see if it starts and stops like it should. I would check the sliding table for play both up and down at full extension both ways. I would bring a dial indicator with a magnetic base and check the arbor for runout. I would also check the sliding table for parallelism with the blade. That could be done with the dial indicator w/magnetic base. Then just the normal tilt, up/down of the blade, rollers in the sliding table, scoring blade bearings, belts, motor break, ect
    Agree 100% w/ Bobby. F45 is a a great saw but price seems premium to me. OP, you are asking a very difficult question. A truck can be 20 years old and still be in great condition or it can be rode hard/put away, wet. We don't really know. One thing I will add is that generally with used or auction machines, unless it's local, you are not in a position to ask any questions or perform much inspection. It's WYSIWYG and the buyer is responsible for any needed parts after the sale. Good luck in your search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Check if it is a phenolic way machine. If so, put a dial on the table and indicate the slider along it's entire length. then put the dial on the slider and indicate along the fixed table front to back. That should give you an idea if there is wear in the ways which are tough to replace. If the machine checks out, keep in mind that the build is near Martin in quality. 3900 is not top end for a good altendorf. Condition is everything but a Martin or Altendorf in good condition is way more saw than most any other. Dave

looked at one really old Alt. Phenolic and very smooth but it was just so old likely 60's passed on it. Not many at auctions over the years, 2 or 3 and one was F90 so no tilt. Last F45 went for 3,500.00 Can plus buyers premium and loading so figure 4k all in, looked to be in good shape.

Thanks a lot for the infos. I will do my homework on the price and if i can check it! Will get back to you guys if i have more news or infos to ask !