Thread: bowmouldmaster questions

bowmouldmaster questions

i know a few of you are experts with the bowmouldmaster... i need some guidance. (joe, peter!)

first of all - i cooked the bearing in my guide. has anyone replaced that bearing, and if so, do you have an advice on how to go about it?

second, can the bearing guide plate be mounted below the cutter, rather than above it? i have an odd situation where i really need a depth-adjustable bottom bearing surface, and if i can put the bearing guide plate at the bottom rather than the usual top, it would be ideal.

finally -- which spacers do you use on either side of that bearing to ensure it's spinning freely?

thanks.

--- dz

Jim,
    I have a lot of miles on mine in 20 years and the bearing still good. Don’t have it in front of me but I believe a small set screw holds it. You can order a replacement from Aigner but probably cheaper and faster to source the bearing elsewhere. You might try soaking a little WD40 into the race. I used to to do that with my old rub collars to revive them.

I have run below on occasion. You have to be careful to have the guide slightly above the table surface so as not to bind it. Or enough rings out where it can be slightly below without binding if needed for height.

I always use thin spacers (1 to 3mm)to make sure they are resting on the bearing. The spacers on 40mm and 1.25 shafts are larger than the bearing and can put it in a bind as the bearing is slightly recessed in the guide. 30mm shafts have smaller spacers that fit down on the bearing but not the 1.25 shafts.

150CE1E1-62F7-4B16-81AD-7D358E7BD129.jpg

joe, thanks. it sounds as though i'm generally doing it correctly. WD40 did seem to help a little, but given how inexpensive the bearings are, i'll probably pick up another one anyway. Al at martin emailed me the bearing specs, so that should do it. thanks for the guidance.

There are far better products than WD40 to lubricate a bearing. WD40 is nearly all solvent and will lead to a shorter bearing life. Why not use some real bearing lube? https://www.machinerylubrication.com...ring-lubricant

Would agree WD is not a lube. Short of repacking a sealed bearing, WD or penetrating gun oil is quick and dirty way to free up a frozen bearing quickly to finish a shaping job.

yeah the WD40 is a solvent, not really a lubricant. but, to joe's point, it worked. took a few shots, and some work, but the bearing is back to functional, running smoothly. thanks again.