Thread: Did Grizzly discontinue their nice Black Wood Lathe ?

Did Grizzly discontinue their nice Black Wood Lathe ?

Don't see it in the 2021 Grizzly catalog, I know it was in the 2020 catalog . Is it discontinued ???

Yes. I think there is a Harvey that is close, but it uses a servo motor instead of a 3 phase induction motor. The Harvey's seem really nice. I just don't know about the servo motor power or longevity. It might be the best thing ever; I just don't know.

3. The G0800 was discontinued....don’t know why. Not sure if Grizzly will have it in the future. If the issue was because of the trade sanctions on Chinese imports, it might come back, but if Harvey decided not to produce the Grizzly version any longer, it might not be back. Me, I prefer the 3 hp A/C version which was the first generation of the Harvey Turbo-60 and the G0800.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Grizzly has discontinued several tools. It could be it has always happened and since they were tools that I didn't pay attention to I didn't notice. I don't remember them selling Nova lathes before. If I had to guess I would say the G0800 was priced too high. At that point it's closing in on some of the more expensive lathes. Grizzly doesn't always do themselves favors with some of the tools they sell. For example my G0766 lathe, G1033X planer, G0514X2 bandsaw, and G1071 oscillating spindle sander have been excellent but the G0840 mortiser I got from them is very Chinese. Had I bought the mortiser first I doubt I would have bought any other tools from them. I certainly wouldn't have bought a more expensive lathe from them.

5. The reason for discontinuing the G0800 may also have been due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the lock downs, and halt of production at the foundry's where the castings are made, and assembly facilities, may have made it impossible for Grizzly to have sold units without having very prolonged back orders, and no real way of reliably telling customers when their machine would be shipped. American consumers just won't tolerate that without trashing the company's reputation. I hope the discontinence of the G0800 is a temporary thing, because that lathe is a high performing beast of a turning machine........I love mine!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!