Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dado blade set

Dado blade set

Hi everyone,

Im looking to purchase a dado blade set and will to spend the extra money for a really good quality set
    After some research, I purchased (2) Freud SD508 dado sets and both were returned due to damage (All from Amazon)
    At this point im looking into the Forrest DK08244 which equally has great reviews

Would love your opinions on the above or possibly another suggestion

Thank You

Forrest is as good as anything. Dados are easily chipped from sloppy handling . You can protect them AND make them
    easier to use by making a box with slots out of 3/4" plywood. Pieces stored vertical protects them from getting chipped,
    and let's you get the pieces you need without "shuffling the cards". Make a hoop handle out of old garden hose. Store
    them on the floor and they will never take a fall to the floor.

Yes, get the Forrest. It's a great set. Get their blade runner blade holder pack too if you don't want to make your own. I leave my Forrest dado set up in a dedicated dado saw 90% of the time, and it is easily the best set I've had/used.

Currently out of stock but also an excellent dado set.
    https://ridgecarbidetool.com/collect...33003952996452

Consider a small (4-6") flat top dado for finish joinery like shallow flat bottomed dados or finger joints, where the appearance is important.
    Regards,

Tom

I think I have 2 SD508’s and haven’t had any problem with them. Don’t give up on them because of shipping issues

i have the oshlun 8 inch set that amazon sells,,,when i first got the set i didnt use it for about 2 months and the very first time i used it it was splintering bad across the plywood and needless to say my time had ran out for returns at amazon,,they just give you 30 days,,so i call oshlun,,i told the man my problem and he said he would send me a brand new set,,all i had to do was return the old set after i got the new set and he even included a postage return voulcher so it would not cost me anything to return it,,,i cant speak for other brands but customer service means alot to me,,,and they was no money involved in the exchange,,,in the world we live in today its really nice that you find a trusting person,,and they are super great blades!!!!!

Here's the Oshlun:

https://www.rockler.com/oshlun-8-sta...xoCMWMQAvD_BwE

It comes with a little extra: a 3/32" chipper, but it has only one shim. Probably as adjustable as you would ever need.

My set is a Systi Matic brand, the "super fine" model 37160. I guess they're made in China and perhaps sold through Harbor Freight. There, I've just blasphemed twice in one sentence. I think I bought mine at Woodcraft 20 years ago. All this time that dado set has been a favorite tool in many ways. It has (like the Oshlun) full-disk chippers with six carbide blades, sheathed by inside and outside 42-tooth blades. Sets with full-disk chippers seem to be hard to find these days. Maybe because the market for dado sets has gone away in Europe and the UK (illegal in the UK)? Maybe because they're more expensive to produce than those two-point wing-type chippers? I wouldn't want to use them, but they're everywhere you look today.

Anyway, the mass of this thing makes it a formidable tool, and very well balanced. It may be too much for a saw of less than 3 HP. Dados are flat except for tiny bat ears at the edges (these turn out to be excellent scoring edges to prevent tear-out). If you are at all curious about it, here is one visual reference I found, but it's entirely possible you can't buy these anymore (see pp. 24 and 25):

http://www.hodie.com/Catalog/Catalog...ticcatalog.pdf

Just singing in the wind, I suppose, but I am so glad I have my dado set. It's my secret weapon for making short work of precise dados 1/4" through 13/16". Mine came with six magnetic shims: 2 each 0.010", 0.012", and 0.015", making the set adjustable almost down to 0.001". Plus, it came packaged with heavy bubble foam forms that keep all tips apart –– no scratching. It's in pristine condition after two decades. I love pulling this dado set out when it's needed.

Until today I have never once heard anyone talking about Systi Matic dado sets. But skulking around the internet to find the links above, I ran into this 2005 Fine Woodworking mini-review by Steve Latta of my very set. Imagine that.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2005...d-37160-review

There was chatter about this set until about 2009 from what I can see. It looks like you can't buy this one anymore.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 01-26-2021 at 3:13 AM.

Do you have a Sawstop? If so your choices are limited. I owned the SD508 which worked brilliantly on my older TS but had to sell it as its not compatible with Sawstop's braking technology.

Thanks everyone, truly appreciate the timely feedback

I may order the SD508 again despite this being my third attempt. The problem is the case it ships in does not protect the blades in route (Terrible on Freuds part)

Johnny Barr, I dont own a Sawtop
    Steve, I will check out the blade runner holder

Once agin thanks for the feedback

Hi Joe, I have an FS Tools set which produces extremely flat grooves..........Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    My Freud SD608 dial-a-width dado comes in a very protective plastic box. One of the best dado sets around. Can't imagine the blades getting damaged in shipping. It is pricy.

NOW you tell me...

When I had my cabinet saw, the Forrest was my go-to for dados, grooves and rebates on the table saw. Do note that it (and many other higher end) dado sets have very sharp corners on the outside platters that score the edge for the cleanest cuts. These "bat wings" will be visible if the groove is exposed. That's not an issue for most joinery, but is important to know about.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim,

I'm aware of the 'bat wing' overcut however; curious to know if manufactures make mention of this in their specifications? Do they use a specific term? Either way, most cuts I make will be hidden.
    I attached pics of the 2nd damaged blade. The problem is, the teeth pass through the soft plastic (Red) and rub against the harder plastic case (Black) which cause the teeth to shatter. Poor design on Freuds part and it could be very easily fixed.

Blade1.jpg
    Blade2.jpg

I think they all will do the job. How does a dado blade get damaged in shipping?

I had a Freud for many years until teeth started to go missing.

I went from that to an Amana (sold as Dadonator by Infinity) and it is very good.

I also have a Forrest Dado King (only b/c I got it + a WWII for $20 at an estate sale).