Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limits on threads

Things to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    Thanks, John. Now I have to worry about cosmic rays.
    If you need even more to worry about, cosmic rays are suspected to be one, if rare, causes of chromosome and cell damage in the body.. A big problem in space, we on the ground are mostly protected - more danger when on a mountaintop or airliner. There is lots of info on the interweb for anyone interested. This is one fairly low-tech and interesting article that seems reasonably complete: https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/20...theory-science

It does say this: "...The camera in your phone works because photons — the subatomic particle that constitute light — activates a sensor at the back of the lens. Cosmic rays can activate the sensor too. (Every once in a while, too, a cosmic ray can interfere with a microprocessor and cause a computer to crash.)"

Science geeks can make their own cloud chamber and see particles that come from space. Again, a lot of info on the web. When in high school a friend designed and built a fairly large continuously operating cloud chamber for a science project. It was amazing. He was offered a job by Westinghouse!

JKJ, geeky but not a physicist

I'm picking up on this thread again.
    Has the limit of 8 pictures per post change recently, because I saw a post on building or changing some small tables and it had as many as 14 or 15 pictures per post?
    That was yesterday(feb 5)
    Just curious

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Janssen View Post
    Has the limit of 8 pictures per post change recently, because I saw a post on building or changing some small tables and it had as many as 14 or 15 pictures per post?
    Just curious

Tim
    I didn't see that thread, but if the pictures are not uploaded to SMC but are stored a web page somewhere and displayed with the URL option I don't think the limit doesn't count. You can tell since uploaded photos are displayed as thumbnails and referenced photos are full size. If something else, maybe provide a link.

BTW, the URL reference method is not encouraged for one reason - if the external web page ever goes away the post and thread might not make sense. Uploaded photos are stored on the SMC server.

JKJ

Just curious

Tim
    Nothing has changed. The 8 image per post limit is for images uploaded to SMC. (which we prefer so thread content is preserved for future viewers) Folks who hose photos elsewhere will hit the 15 linked image limit...smilies are included in that metric.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I finally found the thread I referred to in my earlier post. The title of the thread is "Greene and green coffee table and end table build"
    Here is the link(hope I do this correctly) https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nd-Table-Build
    I don't mean to get anyone in trouble, I just want to make sure I understand things correctly.
    Cheers!

Tim

I finally found the thread I referred to in my earlier post. The title of the thread is "Greene and green coffee table and end table build"
    Here is the link(hope I do this correctly) https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nd-Table-Build
    I don't mean to get anyone in trouble, I just want to make sure I understand things correctly.
    Cheers!

Tim
    Yes, those photos reside on another web page and are referenced here. Click on one and you can see.

But no trouble for anyone! The "rules" here don't prohibit this, but do encourage uploading.

As one example of what can go wrong: some time back many people stored photos on Photobucket and referenced them in threads here and elsewhere. In 2017 Photobucket suddenly changed everything and started charging a bunch of money for the previous free service. Lots of photos all over the internet were suddenly not viewable. There have also been many cases where people put photos on their own private website and due to various reasons eventually shut down that site. This also orphaned a number of threads in this and other forums.

One advantage to referencing photos instead of uploading is you get to show off the full-sized imaged instead of thumbnails, possibly for more impact. However, there is a way to do that without uploading into a post. Simply upload to a photo album here then reference that! As an example of the difference , here is a photo referenced from the my SMC photo gallery and the thumbnail displayed when I upload it:

Referenced from the SMC album:

Uploaded:
    gavels.jpg

The full sized photos can give more of a "blog" look. The thumbnails can be kinder to those who have slower internet access.

If you're not familiar with the albums, you can create and access them from the left panel when you view your profile (your name at the top of the screen) or view the albums of others by clicking on their name in a thread or the directory (Community/Member's list). I think you can have 25 photos per album so I made three pages of woodturnings to date: https://sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=862

JKJ

One of the problems I see in having the photos residing off site is that if you lose that photo as in the Photobucket example, the threads potentially can become a lot less valuable as people can no longer see an example of what someone is trying to convey or ask a question about.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....