Thread: PICS: Full Felder FORMAT4 shop

PICS: Full Felder FORMAT4 shop

Just sharing some pics from one of my customers’ shops.
    -Kappa 400 X-motion sliding panel saw integrated with traditional cabinet saw on outfeed side.
    -PLAN 51L 20” jointer
    -Exact 63 24” planer
    -FW950C 37” widebelt
    -F900Z sliding table shaper
    -FB710 bandsaw
    -RL-200 dust collector

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Wow, business must be GOOD!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Had to go the kitchen to get a paper towel to clean up the drool from my laptop.
    Equipment like this inspires you to perform some great work.

This a hobbiest shop? Seems way too clean for a professional space.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    This a hobbiest shop? Seems way too clean for a professional space.
    Actually, no! But I agree with you. Most pro shops are much dustier and more cluttered. This gentleman does strictly high-end residential here in the Austin area. We are (for better or worse) the next Silicon Valley, so the design-build business is booming. There are several shops in my area that are like this as far as cleanliness and organization but to your point, they are in the minority. I have terrible allergies. One of the upsides to the pandemic is that now, I have a legitimate reason for wearing a dust mask inside someone's shop.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Well congrats if you made that sale. Looks as though he has a new construction drill and edgebander too, must have been a decent amount of coin to drop all in one go.

Well congrats if you made that sale. Looks as though he has a new construction drill and edgebander too, must have been a decent amount of coin to drop all in one go.
    Thanks, Peter. For better or worse (again), the Texas economy seems to run by itself. We were the least hit during the recession and have not really slowed down since. Good eyes: He has a little G360 bander and that convertible drilling machine, too. The trend I see now is these "niche" design-build guys buying space in unincorporated areas, then setting up shop there. In this customer's case, he put up the building on his own property and financed the equipment. So, he is paying himself for rent and the monthly payments are reasonable, too. The building is new but he had several of those machine beforehand. One of the things I like about this gig versus the old one if that I get to talk to shops about CNC routers, big edgebanders, etc. Bigger toys, more fun.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I’m always a bit puzzled when I see a one-man type cabinet operation without a router or pod and rail machine (or both). Automation would be the first thing I’d invest in if was doing that for a living and working on my own again.

Thanks for the photos, always interesting to see other shops.

I’m always a bit puzzled when I see a one-man type cabinet operation without a router or pod and rail machine (or both).
    Well, you are right about that. Most common setup I see is a small edgebander, some type of line drilling machine, then a nesting router. As you know, if you have that, you can crank out a lot of cabinets in a hurry. Nothing special or fancy, but fast. This particular customer does lots of boutique solid woodwork (again, "high end residential"), so the LAST thing he needs is a router but you're right. I was talking to one of my buddies at the factory last week. He said nobody buys nesting routers in Germany. All pod-and-rail machines.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Pod & Rail machine, beam saw and a case clamp if you want to see some real speedy work. Can’t imagine why that particular combination didn’t become more popular in the US, lots of shops overseas doing pretty high-end work with that exact setup.

What’s this guy’s finishing situation? Didn’t see a spray booth in those photos.

What’s this guy’s finishing situation? Didn’t see a spray booth in those photos.
    It's there, just out of frame. Pretty nice panel-type setup, probably 8X10. He is able to vent outside due to rural location. I can't recall the brand but it was a local TX company that offers them.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik — You need to get Felder to make a drill press to replace that Powermatic he has (the only non-felder machine I see).
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Just sharing some pics from one of my customers’ shops.
    -Kappa 400 X-motion sliding panel saw integrated with traditional cabinet saw on outfeed side.
    -PLAN 51L 20” jointer
    -Exact 63 24” planer
    -FW950C 37” widebelt
    -F900Z sliding table shaper
    -FB710 bandsaw
    -RL-200 dust collector

Erik
    Well, now I'm feeling a little bit inadequate

Great shop pics. I strongly believe no single brand makes the 'best' of everything, but it sure looks nice when things are matchy matchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Erik — You need to get Felder to make a drill press to replace that Powermatic he has (the only non-felder machine I see).
    Tom, at the rate Felder is bringing in new machines for the hobby market, I would not be surprised to see one!

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep