Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New table saw

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I liked the safety feature, but is it worth the extra $1000?
    If you can afford the $1000, I'd say it is worth it. I mean, how much would an accident cost you in pain, loss of function and out of pocket medical? But if you can't swing it, then you live without it. YMMV.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Todd:

I liked the safety feature, but is it worth the extra $1000? Thanks Brian

Obviously a personal decision.

When I bought my Felder in '08, if they'd had a 'Sawstop' type option for it, and it was $1500, I probably would have ordered it.

I, too, am looking for a saw. In terms of Sawstop, someone said their patent expires this year. If true, then you know Papa Griz is waiting to jump. Sawstop will cost you an additional $115+ to run a dado set. Sawstop limits you on the size and types of blades you can run. That said, if you can afford it, that is the way to go.

The Griz 1023 looks to be a solid machine. After having lived with a Ridgid contractor machine, I know for sure that I want real cabinet mounted trunnions and I want steel fence rails rather than something that I will forever live in fear of bumping into and bending.

I have 1.75 now and it is plenty for me. Do you get better features by going to 3hp?
    Most have more features and capability but also it holds more value when sold.

The Fusion F1 looked kind cheap on the video watch when they turn the height knob as it wobbles. And a aluminum guild rail for the fence seems okay but getting into those numbers I feel there are better options. I have a 18’’ Laguna band saw and it’s a great saw so the Laguna name is not a problem for me but like most tool company’s there are something’s better and some no so much. I think one of the Grizzly’s saws would be a better choice in what seems to me your price range. … Just my option.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Todd:

I liked the safety feature, but is it worth the extra $1000? Thanks Brian

I understand. I looked at several saws, including the Jet Proshop II, Laguna and Powermatic. I had a Hitachi C10Fl, that I recently sold. About a year ago, I was cutting sled runners and the cut off, kicked back and caught me on the thumb, which was holding the pushstick. It cost me 7 stitches but no movement. That's my first tablesaw injury in the past 20 years of woodworking(That resulted in an ER visit). But it did get me thinking. How much are my fingers worth? I guess nobody knows until they don't have them, but I'm getting older and I don't plan on buying another table saw, probably for the rest of my life. It's not a great safety feature with a mediocre saw, it's a great saw with a great safety feature. And I need my fingers to do my day to day job. In the end, I decided it was worth it to me.
    Last edited by Todd Trebuna; 01-26-2021 at 9:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    I ran a 1.75 HP Craftsman 22124 for years and would probably still be but for a Saw Stop PCS 3HP following me home. The 22124 did all I asked of it but the power and confidence behind the next tier machine is undeniable.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I ran a 1.75 HP Craftsman 22124 for years and would probably still be but for a Saw Stop PCS 3HP following me home. The 22124 did all I asked of it but the power and confidence behind the next tier machine is undeniable.
    Finally got mine tuned up. I took the top completely off and reassembled it. Worked, but no idea what was wrong in getting it square to the blade. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Finally got mine tuned up. I took the top completely off and reassembled it. Worked, but no idea what was wrong in getting it square to the blade. Brian

That's great. I may have mentioned elsewhere that I am running my old 22124 right now while between shops. I am running full kerf blades off a typical shared garage outlet without issue. I do have the little 1HP bagger DC I am using running on a different circuit. The Biesemeyer fence is so reliable. I trust it implicitly. I have it in the stock 30" position but, moved the tube over one row of holes to get 40" back in the day.

22124 Back from Dad's-2.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-26-2021 at 10:37 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Harvey?

Thanks.
    Scroll down to see the 3-4 table saw options. https://www.harveywoodworking.com/collections/all

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    That's great. I may have mentioned elsewhere that I am running my old 22124 right now while between shops. I am running full kerf blades off a typical shared garage outlet without issue. I do have the little 1HP bagger DC I am using running on a different circuit. The Biesemeyer fence is so reliable. I trust it implicitly. I have it in the stock 30" position but, moved the tube over one row of holes to get 40" back in the

22124 Back from Dad's-2.jpg
    I am having trouble getting it to true 90. I looked the shaft collar inside the housing around the shaft foot the tilt. I had the top off and cleanened all the gears and stops. Used lube spray, but still just shy of true 90 when the handle is tight. Not sure what else to look at? Thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    I, too, am looking for a saw. In terms of Sawstop, someone said their patent expires this year. If true, then you know Papa Griz is waiting to jump. Sawstop will cost you an additional $115+ to run a dado set. Sawstop limits you on the size and types of blades you can run. That said, if you can afford it, that is the way to go.

The Griz 1023 looks to be a solid machine. After having lived with a Ridgid contractor machine, I know for sure that I want real cabinet mounted trunnions and I want steel fence rails rather than something that I will forever live in fear of bumping into and bending.
    Sawstop patents start expiring this year. I understand they have several. I am hoping that someone else comes out with the same finger saving system that doesn't destroy a blade and cartridge. At that time I would take a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Crout View Post
    Sawstop patents start expiring this year. I understand they have several. I am hoping that someone else comes out with the same finger saving system that doesn't destroy a blade and cartridge. At that time I would take a look at it.
    Actually the blade dropping down into the table should really be enough to get the blade away from your hand. Maybe the drop is not as fast as the brake cartridge stopping the blade.

The Grizzly 1023 series looked good to me as well. Last week I inquired as to when they would be back in stock, and Grizzly told me late September. So, I started researching Harvey saws.

If you send the defective blade brake cartridge to SawStop they will send you a new cartridge for free.
    Cheers

Tim