Thread: Storage across bifold doors

Storage across bifold doors

I'm in the process of working on my basement (the non-shop portion), and part of it includes FINALLY putting something up to separate the mechanicals from the shop. The front doors will be louvered to meet the fresh air intake requirements of the furnace and water heater, and the way they are situated those doors will provide access for all of the regular service. What they will not provide, however, is access to remove and replace the hot water tank - there is a lolly post and gas line directly in the way of removing it, so I need to maintain access into the shop for when it needs replacement in the future as well as access to the AC coil on the furnace. This leads me to wanting to put 2 36" bifold doors on the rear - with some weather stripping and a door sweep I should be able to minimize the amount of sawdust that makes it to them and limit the amount of cleaning I have to do.

What I would like to do is use this "wall" of doors for storage. My thought is to get a couple of open bar holder brackets, and put 2 2x4s (or 2x6s?) across the door, and screw my clamp racks to those. When I need access, I can empty the clamps to somewhere else in the shop, and then lift off the clamp racks with the 2x4s as one big unit and the doors will then be able to open for access. Has anyone done something like this before? I'd like to avoid building something too heavy to lift, or end up with an assembly that is too heavy for the brackets to support. Should I make them french cleat style to make it easier to remove?

My thoughts are along the same lines as you...the shelving hardware goes on something removable. That applies whether you use bi-fold doors or you use removable panels.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sure that would work, as long as you fasten the brackets to framing and not the doors themselves. But why not just put roll around shelving in front of the doors and mount clamp racks somewhere else. Then it's easy enough to roll the loaded shelves aside should you need access.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

There are several mobile clamp rack plans/photos on the web. Why not just adapt one of those to be one-sided. It can sit there, nicely storing your clamps unless you need access. Just roll it out of the way, fix the problem, and roll it back. No unloading, no reloading.

A moveable cart completely slipped my mine. I have a few longer clamps (5 and 6 footers) that would do better on a wall mount, but that would certainly save unloading a ton of smaller clamps, and it'll make a lot of glue ups easier.