Thread: Antique Draw Knife

Antique Draw Knife

Hello. My first post and I hope I'm doing this correctly. I have a small collection of draw knives. I am attempting to determine what this blade says and be able to attribute it. Your help, please?
    Many thanks. Drawing-Brand-Knife.jpgDrawing-Knife.jpg

Welcome! I can't see the name well but try and see if you can take a rubbing. I've had luck doing this before. It does look handmade and with the brass I'd say its 1800's.
    Aiden
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden Pettengill View Post
    Welcome! I can't see the name well but try and see if you can take a rubbing. I've had luck doing this before. It does look handmade and with the brass I'd say its 1800's.
    Aiden
    Thanks, Aiden. I have tried the rubbing with no luck. Someone said "warranted" another thought perhaps Warwood. Someone else thought it might have something above the word with the W. I think I'm just going to give up on this. lol This gentleman had almost a dozen antique draw knives. Only one that I had actually was clearly named. Thank you.

Hi Patricia and welcome to the Creek!

I am no expert on antique drawknives, but I don't believe that one says, "warranted" unless it's an abbreviation. As best I can make out, it looks like "WAR(K? R?) (a few spaces) IL(D?)(C?)(..)."

I hope this helps.
    Michael

Only one of the ferrules is brass and I believe that side is a replacement handle as it doesn’t match the other. Even in the 1800s most all ferrules are steel/ferrous metal. I have rehabbed several drawknives and looked at hundreds online and I don’t recognize the markings. Since none of these in that condition have much value, if you are really wanting to determine the maker I would use some sandpaper (220) and sand the area. Unless a drawknife is in excellent condition and from a known maker, the value is minimal - $25 to 40 from what I have seen. If the back side is as pitted as the front then it has no value as a user as one could never achieve a good edge without removing a lot of metal.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    Hi Patricia and welcome to the Creek.

That looks to be a Wallhanger.

The line most likely said Warranted Cast Steel. There was likely a name above that. It looks like someone beat on it with a hammer to split wood.

If the name is important an acid etch might reveal a name. That would make it a bit uglyfied even for a wall hanger.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Warranted Cast Steel
    I agree with Jim, that was a typical text stamped on the tools in that period. The maker's name would have been above that.

Rafael

"Warranted cast steel " was a real thing. Small batches were required to make it . Steel making is different now ,but
    cast steel is still good stuff. I've forgotten the start - stop dates ,but it's easy to find. It was expensive so it's often found
    welded to cheaper iron. It's usually pretty easy to find that line.

That tool is pretty narrow. If you can't find a clear line between steel and iron then the steel is just used up and the piece
    should just be considered a sign of early every day work. Not a useable tool. Unless it's not as old as I think it is .
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 01-25-2021 at 10:53 PM.

Hi, Michael, I am enjoying the site. I wish I had hours to simply read through. Such an education.
    Well, I agree. I don't see how anyone could get Warranted from those letters. This is the kind of stuff that can make eyes cross lol
    Thanks for your input.

I see ‘WARRANTED CA’ so I agree it most likely said warranted cast steel.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

I agree on the WARRENTED CAST STEEL. I can see the WAR easily and some of the second R. I can see the TED_C easily and some of the N before the T as well as part of the A after the C. The other warranted letters would fit perfectly in the mystery space. After WARRANTED CA there's not a lot of places you can go other than warranted cast steel.

I have sometimes had luck with a red flashlight making markings on wood tools much easier to read. Don't know if it would work with steel, but worth a shot.

Jim and Chris,
    I can see your point, seeing the letters as a bit distorted by the pitting. I agree that "warranted cast steel" makes the most sense.

Michael