Thread: Credit Card Project for my Dad (Engraving EMV Depth)

Credit Card Project for my Dad (Engraving EMV Depth)

Hey guys,

This is my first post. I am fairly new to the engraving scene as I had just bought a 50W fiber laser about 3 months ago. I have been playing with the settings and thought I would make a cool star wars credit card for my father for his birthday. I had bought some blank grey stainless steel cards from China and started working on them. I was thinking about just engraving the depth for the EMV chip. These cards are about 0.88mm in total and the engrave has to reach it seems like 0.33mm in depth. I am running the laser on a hatch of 90%P/500mm/40frq. I am just looking for suggestions about whether I should engrave that emv chip slot or if anyone else has a better idea. All of your help is greatly appreciated, and look forward to asking more questions in the future.

Sorry another problem I meant to mention. The cards because they are so thin seem to ward a bit. I am thinking of using a Peltier thermo-chip with a variable resistor for the base plate to cool the entire base plate. Saw some people use damp towels and such but just a thought.

Thank you everyone!

Blog Entries
    Or buy a thicker card from a few vendors, chewbarka is one, they have some that are 1.5mm thick and they won't warp. Just sayin. I've a pile of the thin cards I've used to test setting with, and they are pretty CHEEP. Bend way too easy. cute, but not really worth the time to do anything major with.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

with practice you can reverse the warp almost exactly by 'engraving' the backside, out of focus...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle