Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3hp sawstop is coming, now the outlet question

Tesla should be adjustable max input.. 40 amps for 50 amp seems correct at 80%.
    Bill D

It is fine for the total amps of all the breakers to add to more then 50 amps. They should be balanced, equal loads on each of the two legs and not more then 50 amps that would be used at the same time. I assume the tesla charges after bedtime when no other tools are running in the shop.
    Add the total breaker amps in your main panel and compare that to the main amps.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Why is the county involved?

I have four 50 plugs in my shop to run my welding machine. My SS and DC are like yours. I made up a #6x15' extension to go from the 50A to the 20's. I have had no trouble with the system for the past 5 yrs. I was going to adapt the SS plug as Jim suggested but the saws cord would not reach from the saws location.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Gon View Post
    Tesla draws 30A, but I won't be using the charger when I use the power tools
    There is the answer to your question.
    If for some reason everything would be on then the 50 amp breaker would trip and you would have to reduce load.
    Ron

64150FEB-2D66-4054-B85E-9769EB01928C.jpg If you go with a portable setup, just use the same plug on the portable power distribution center as is on the Tesla charger. When your portable power distribution center is plugged in, your power distribution center is unplugged and vice versa.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ron
    You've got a Tesla and a Sawstop, you're not going to cut corners with your wiring.

1. Plan on having an electrician install it. Let him or her decide on the permit. First figure out what you want and sketch it out. Your electrician will probably have changes to suggest. That's one of the benefits of using a pro.

2. You will probably short stop the Tesla circuit in a sub panel and run 3 or 4 circuits out of that. They will go where you want them so you will not be working with 240 volt cords across the floor.

3. You will plug in the car when you park it, not at bedtime. It will probably not be charging much during shop tome but sometimes it will. It may not share the 50 amps well with the saw and DC. So how smart is that charger? It probably has a magnetic starter or similar. It may have aux contacts that will let you drop it out automatically when the DC starts. The saw by itself (for quick small cuts not needing the DC) will not be drawing full power so it will share ok. If not, it would not be difficult to add a starter.

Congrats on the cool stuff.

Just a quick note- the 3hp Sawstop is 13 amp and comes with a 15 amp style plug (at least the PCS does). If you don't believe you can download the manuals from Sawstop's web page.
    Just a Duffer

If he's using a NEMA 14-50 to charge the Tesla, he's not using the Tesla wall charger, just the built in electronics in the car. The car then chooses 30amps (I know this from experience - I have a Tesla model S and charged it this way in my last house). If he upgrades to the Tesla wall charger (really totally unnecessary, he then can choose higher charging currents, up to 80 amps. The Gen 3 charger only goes up to 48 amps. Nice downgrade, guys...)

And yes, you'll likely plug in the car and start charging when you get home, so if the car is still drawing current, that plan won't work sharing the circuit. Once the car is fully charged, it's only trickle charging, but I ran separate circuits for my Sawstop and the Tesla. Much better game plan. Sorry, it is more $$$, but safer, and will work better for you.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.