Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Species BTU Value Chart

Wood Species BTU Value Chart

Not sure if any members are serious wood burners for heating their homes. I came across this chart of BTU values and thought it was interesting. Our winters a fairly mild in NW Arkansas but I still burn 4-5 ricks of hardwood each winter. That's a 1-1/3 to 1-3/4 cords in yankee terms. Enjoy cutting, splitting and stacking. Kinda a hobby that gives me a little exercise. Wife, cats and the dog tend to gather around the fireplace on a cold night.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by julian abram; 01-24-2021 at 8:32 PM.

Thank you... Appreciate the info...

First one I have ever seen with eucalyptus. Does not mention Almond which is very popular here since the orchards are replanted every 20-30 years. My experience is btu is related to dry weight. The heavier the wood the more btu's. Some of the wood I have burned is grape. Slow hot coals once you get it going.
    Bil lD

Julian, you should have come down to fort smith Saturday. All the hackberry you could possibly split. One of three piles.ECED3831-CDAD-47A6-B31C-29F6714F235E.jpg
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

It's an interesting chart but if you're buying firewood you get what they give you. Often it's a wood that has little value. Around here that would be red maple. If you own your own land then you most likely do like I do, pick trees that are distressed or are ones that you want removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Julian, you should have come down to fort smith Saturday. All the hackberry you could possibly split. One of three piles.ECED3831-CDAD-47A6-B31C-29F6714F235E.jpg
    Geez Mike, you river valley folks grow some big hackberries! Appreciate the offer, got all I want to split here at the house. Want it to remain a hobby and not cross over into serious work.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    It's an interesting chart but if you're buying firewood you get what they give you. Often it's a wood that has little value. Around here that would be red maple. If you own your own land then you most likely do like I do, pick trees that are distressed or are ones that you want removed.
    Yeah, I don't buy firewood. Cut and split my own mostly oak and hickory. I watch some of the Alaskan tv shows and feel sorry for those fellows that have no hardwoods available. They must spend so much time cutting/burning all those low BTU evergreens. Little heat for a lot of work.

not to throw water on yer fires, but that value chart, in every instance, bases the BTU value on the weight-per-cord of the wood, regardless OF the wood--
    example, a snippet from the chart:

woods.JPG

I don't know that much about wood, but I'm not sure why completely different types of wood will burn at identical rates just because they weigh the same-

What am I missing?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Not sure if any members are serious wood burners for heating their homes. I came across this chart of BTU values and thought it was interesting. Our winters a fairly mild in NW Arkansas but I still burn 4-5 ricks of hardwood each winter. That's a 1-1/3 to 1-3/4 cords in yankee terms. Enjoy cutting, splitting and stacking. Kinda a hobby that gives me a little exercise. Wife, cats and the dog tend to gather around the fireplace on a cold night.
    Exactly how big is a rick. Here it is anywhere from 1/8 to 1/2 a cord depending on who you buy it from. There is no set standard so we always say we want a cord that is easy to verify

Blog Entries
    Wow, Osage orange is ahead by a lot. I was always taught that you should never burn the stuff. Burns too hot and spits a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Exactly how big is a rick. Here it is anywhere from 1/8 to 1/2 a cord depending on who you buy it from. There is no set standard so we always say we want a cord that is easy to verify
    A rick is a stack 16"x4'x8'. Side note, I visited your city back in 2003. I was in the poultry business and visited Chickmaster Incubator Company. Seemed like a nice little town.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    not to throw water on yer fires, but that value chart, in every instance, bases the BTU value on the weight-per-cord of the wood, regardless OF the wood--

woods.JPG

I don't know that much about wood, but I'm not sure why completely different types of wood will burn at identical rates just because they weigh the same-

What am I missing?
    I'm not sure I understand your thinking. Firewood is sold by volume (cord or rick) not weight. The chart gives BTU values for a cord of each species as well the approximate weight. What is the surprise that 4 or 5 species with similar weight would have would have similar BTU values?

Heat per dry weight

I read years ago that almost all species of hardwood produce nearly the same amount of heat for the same dry weight. Checking a half dozen species in this chart appears to confirm that. For example, dividing the dry weight/cord by the heat/cord gives nearly the same value for both Osage Orange, Black Locust, Cottonwood and Basswood. Of course, that means storing and handling a larger volume of Basswood than Osage for the same heat.

Numbers for conifers ("softwoods") like the cedars and pines are different. I've been told by chimney sweepers that from what they've seen burning pine and such might not be a good idea due to the resin.

The practical problem is always the same - much of what is burned is not dry and lot of energy is wasted turning water into steam. When I used to heat with wood I tried to burn what I split the previous season but that wasn't always possible when I ran low, and besides, some species dry much quicker than others. And purchased firewood it might have been split just the week before.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

woods.JPG

What am I missing?

Jerome, not sure if it's really so, but I've been told, by a police officer, that's it's illegal to sell firewood in Ohio by any other measure than a cord. He told me the law has always been on the books, but it's not enforced.

Blog Entries
    A "full' cord is 4'x4'x8'. You get three face cords from a full cord. Most folks ordering firewood use the term cord when they really mean face cord. I always thought a rick was the same as a face cord, but it is not a term used much around here. In Michigan the most desired wood for fires is generally red oak. Burns hot and no pops or sparks. Most suppliers here sell mixed hardwoods, but you can pay a premium for oak. Here a face cord of oak goes for around $100 split and delivered (dumped, not stacked, that is extra). Up north in rural areas, wood is unusually a bit less expensive.

So when you say cord, you need to be clear, full cord or face cord.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-28-2021 at 9:37 AM.
    NOW you tell me...