Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

25 Jan 2021

Greetings,
    The benches were delivered and the customer was super happy with them. Now I have a large cutting board to do for them and then I think I will be pretty much done with things they are wanting done. I come off of oncall duty in about 12 hours and I'm ready to be done with this past week.
    My son came home from the Army on leave and we're enjoying having him home for a visit.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Got replacement septic tank in at at daughter's house. Old tank (steel) had rusted away. Insisted that new tank be concrete, even when it meant higher costs. I don' trust those plastic tanks. Inspector from county was telling installer about several failures with new plastic tanks, so I felt a lot better. Had to use 24" RCP (reinforced concrete pipe) to make risers, as no one close by stocks concrete risers any more. Cut two 18 sections from a single 4 foot section, using "Quickie Saw." Even with water spray, it made a lot of dust. Formed and poured the two caps for risers. They can be removed from forms and moved after Friday of this week. Got us signed up for Covid shots, which may not happen. Seems state has decided to redirect vaccine to mass shots. Cone Health systems in Greensboro had to cancel 10,400 appointments for this week as their vaccine had been redirected to mass shots. That's 10,400 seniors who WERE felling good about being on the list. Wife's registration went off without a hitch, but mine was a different story. Every time the question about pregnant came up, I would check NO. But site would change it to yes. After about a dozen tries it went thru. At this point I had decided to just leave it yes. I'm sure when I went in for my shot they could tell that I wasn't, nor never likely, would be pregnant. After all this, my appointment was two days later than wife's. Got an email yesterday telling me that they didn't send my conformation info, as I had an incorrect email address. Remember I got and email from them even though they said I had an incorrect email address DUH!

Decent week in the shop for me. Replaced one 13' wall of drywall with 3/4" sanded plywood from HD. Actually pretty decent stuff. Should of just done all the walls that way to begin with. But at the time it was the cheaper option for me.

Also, once the correct hinges came in I finished the doors on the stereo/computer cabinet. This use to be 4 drawers, the same as the ones to the left, but I needed a place to protect the computer and stereo and to hide the sub woofer. That is a fan in the right door, made by AC Infinity (nice stuff) that blows the air out. The drawers were the ones I used for the TS cabinet a built a week or two previous (posted on here too)

Photo Jan 23, 4 54 55 PM.jpg

Yes, that is walnut in the shop. The company I work for has a sister company that does tree work. Occasionally I snag a tree or two. Gotten several Walnut and Cherry trees over the years. When I can get them for free and only get charged $1-$1.25 a board foot for milled and kiln dried............why not.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

I got one desk's components all prefinished and ready for assembly and have one coat on the second desk's parts. Didn't have room to do both at once as I took over a small storage room for the drying area since I didn't want to have stop working in the shop to prevent dust....Will complete the second set this week and begin gluing up the assemblies. I left the faces of the rails and stiles unfinished so I can flush them if needed after glue up, so there's more finish work to do down the road. And I still have to make the drawer boxes and desk tops.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Dennis, those benches turned out very nice from the photos I saw! 'Glad your son got some leave at home, too.

This past week in the shop I did some cleanup and prep for a new commission that came in at the end of the week. New client is making a circular glass tile mosaic coffee table and needs me to make the substrate with a solid walnut rim all around. That will require some segmented construction (yea...math...LOL) but fortunately the thang will fit on the CNC which makes doing the "circular" work on the segmented ring pretty easy to cut. I'll only be using a hand-held router for edge treatment. I'm about to head out to get the material for this as well as for something else.

The other thing that happened this past week is that Professor Dr. SWMBO and I made an "official" decision to start looking for a new-to-us and more modest property to live in going forward. The older is already living independently in town (special needs adult) and the younger is within two months of graduating from Penn State with her business degree. She's already away most of the week in a serious relationship. So 4200 sq ft and 4 acres isn't really necessary to manage and maintain anymore. And fortunately, we do not have to sell our current property before actually buying what comes next (thanks to our bank) which means we can react quickly when the right place comes along in what is a very hot and difficult market to find properties with specific properties, as it were. You know...shop space. Wink, wink...nod, nod... So that's our big project for 2021. Find a place. Do what needs done. Move. Do what needs done here. Sell. And no rush for any of that, other than the "rush" from the excitement of making the decision and executing on it. The Professor also is loaded with two classes for Spring term (normally only has one per term), so not having to rush is a good thing, too. (For those whom I'm connected on social media, best not to mention this there yet)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nothing to report. I seemed to have been over active last Friday and started an "episode" with my fatigue. Nothing but recliner time until that subsides. Glad others had a good weekend.

Finished the Tea Box for my wife last week. Started a glue up in Teak for a shower Seat for her (she is struggling with IBS and Chronic Fatigue for about a year) My design and Glue up failed terribly, so I broke down and bought her a nice shower seat in Teak and moved the Teak to storage for some other projects. I am working on a small quilt hanger for her, so she can display the embroidery that she completes. Basically just a small chunk of lumber with two knobs that provide clamping across the hem.
    Come to think of it, she gets most of my projects.

teabox_corner_edited.jpgteabox_loaded.jpg

Not exactly fine furniture....

...but it makes my wife happy. My wife said the cats "need" to be able to get on top of our upright freezer. Hadn't really done anything in the shop since the holidays so I knocked this out late last week. Turns out I'm not very good with carpet, but the structure is rock solid.

Poplar with dark walnut stain ragged on and Arm-R-Seal satin finish. Not coming out in the photo very well, but there is a bit of iridescence coming thru. Was more evident when the ArmRSeal was wet. Really like how the finish came out. Will be using this again at some point.

I figured the cats would figure out the stairs quickly, but when I set it up, they pretty much ignored it... Guess it will take some time for them to discover it.

20210125_214038.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 01-26-2021 at 9:30 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

That's really nice, Brian! I'm sure the family felines will appreciate it.
    --

Blog Entries
    Great news on the benches! Glad they liked them, not that I’m surprised.

We have been building these 9’ tall gates for a historic property here. They get installed Thursday, and I’m nervous yet confident. They have to fit the arched opening and I am positive I got that right. I am. I’m positive. I have no doubts. Not worried at all about these fitting.... ok... maybe a little. There are two of these.

D8AF21C9-8D74-45AC-A9FC-ACFAF24339E4.jpg

Worked on more art. Finished a beta, and got asked to do a commission piece of a beta but doggone it, it didn’t center on the page so the blue and red one will stop there and be redone. I’m still happy with how it looks and think the second try will go well.

0993FB57-01C5-4DE3-B835-9851B4B84604.jpg D9761F0D-7EFE-455B-8AF4-1B6316E136DC.jpg

That gate door is beautiful Malcolm! I'm sure you nailed the dimensions.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Malcomb, that gate-door is gorgeous!!! So is the art...
    --

Took up the carpet, tile, and laminate in the house - that's all the flooring except bathrooms and laundry. Removed one of the doors to the garage and sealed up the hole. Found wood rot under two doors that is into the structure. I'm sure the 3rd door will be the same. UUuuugghhh! And, painting. Hoping to move tools this week to the hanger.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    That gate door is beautiful Malcolm! I'm sure you nailed the dimensions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Malcomb, that gate-door is gorgeous!!! So is the art...
    thanks. We will know Thursday if it fits. It’s got massive iron strap hinges, which should actually make hanging these easy. Wedge into place, Mark hinge, drill, bolt, remove wedges. I just have to check for any sag on the hinges and accommodate for that. These weigh about 150 pounds each.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's really nice, Brian! I'm sure the family felines will appreciate it.
    Thanks Jim! Was good to get back to making sawdust. I think next up is a sorely needed bookcase.
    Brian