Thread: My New Brass Headed Plane Hammer

Blog Entries

My New Brass Headed Plane Hammer

Yesterday a brass hammer head arrived in the mail, sent by another SMC member, THANK YOU.

So today a little time was taken to make a handle. There was a piece of apple with some bark left on:

Apple to Mill.jpg

A little care on the bandsaw made a nice piece to turn. A piece of dowel was used to get a feel of how long the handle should be for a comfortable swing.

After a little time on the lathe:

From the Lathe.jpg

The drill bits were used like a sizing gauge in the eye of the head to set the calipers for checking size on the lathe. The top block was cut off and the handle was pressed in to the eye. A chisel with a 90º bevel was used to remove excess material:

Trimming W:90º Bevel Chisel.jpg

Twisting the head on the handle actually pushed some of the wood and helped to see how much more needed removal. A fine toothed file was also used for this process.

A small hole was drilled and then a slot of a wedge was cut:

Sawing for Wedge.jpg

A lesson learned here is to saw the slot before finishing the sizing. Things still worked out okay.

With plenty of scrap from the milling one piece seemed just right for a wedge:

Making Wedge from Scrap.jpg

With everything going together it was time to finish the bottom. Had to think whether this was going to be a round bottom or a pointy bottom handle. The pointy bottom won. A saw was used to trim the waste and then a gouge was used to shape the bottom:

Finishing the Bottom.jpg

Follow up with a little light sanding and some furniture polish it is done for now:

Done For Now.jpg

Sometimes on hammers my preference is for a more oval cross section or even flat sides. That decision can wait a while.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    Looks like a nice little hammer. With a beautiful handle! Thanks for the tip about kerfing for the head BEFORE final sizing - that's one I'll remember.

Well done, Jim. Nice Job.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Nice job on the handle, Jim. You can make your own hammer head fairly easy. I have a tutorial here.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I have a tutorial here.
    That is a great instructional piece Mike.

The part on having the handle oval instead of round is spot on. Having the hammer at my computer desk yesterday was one of my reasons for doing a bit more work on the handle today.

A spokeshave was used to flatten the sides:

Spokeshave on Handle.jpg

The hardest part of this was deciding how to hold the hammer. A square dog and one of my auxiliary vise faces took care of that:

Ready to Hollow.jpg

Flattening the sides is just the first step. Having slight hollows for the finger tips and the callouses at the base of the fingers helps to improve one's grip:

Gouge at Work.jpg

This was done with a shallow sweep gouge.

This needs to be done carefully or there is a risk of some ugly tear out. After getting the flats hollowed a rubbing of the shop's wax & oil rag:

Done & Oiled.jpg

Apple is a beautiful wood to work. Here is a straight on view:

Head on View.jpg

Now a hard assignment, finding a place to stow it when not in use.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-25-2021 at 6:55 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sweet little hammer Jim!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”