Thread: Outfeed table design on Sketchup.

Blog Entries

Outfeed table design on Sketchup.

I based my design on two pieces of ply making up my cross members. I assume that 18mm thick might indeed be 18 mm so two pieces joined would be 1.416". In reality they are averaging 0.689" thick which is 1.38" with two joined face to face. So I am 0.007" off. I made my SketchUp drawings based on the 1.416" and I ran a cutlist (not SketchUp's cutlist) using those numbers. I dont want to pre-cut and come up short. Is that a need to rerun SketchUp with the exact numbers for thicknesses?
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

7 thousandths is about 1/128. Don't worry about it.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

This is a perfect example of why I started that thread about plans, sure, everyone has to at least make a few sketches with some math but trying to follow exact plans is asking for headaches. Wood thickness varies, desirability changes, improvements are realized and etc. It’s best to design the big picture, start building and make pieces as you go. If following other people’s plans, it might work for you but it’s a headache to deviate.

Not a Sketchup user, so I don't know if it uses parameters. I've got so I use the free version of Fusion 360 which does offer parameters. I make a parameter called Plywood_750 and initially set it for 19 mm. Make the design using the parameter to specify the size of the material. Once I own the material, I use calipers or a micrometer to determine the actual size. Edit the parameter to reflect the actual measurement and the program makes all the adjustments to the design.

I don't believe that you're going to be affected for this kind of projects by seven thou....especially since material is variable in thickness. I do always check with a caliper because sometimes consistency isn't there.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...