Thread: Nonferrous Pin nails or 18 Gauge Brad Nails?

Nonferrous Pin nails or 18 Gauge Brad Nails?

Does anyone make short non ferrous 23 gauge headless pins for a pin nailer or nails for an 18 gauge brad nailer? If so, I'm thinking it would be a good way to attach a sacrificial top to a radial arm saw table.

Why does it need to be non ferrous? Would steel/ iron react to something?
    Aiden
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"

Both Senco and Raptor make composite (metal free) nails and staples. But I'm pretty sure you have to buy special guns to drive them.

I've not seen anything other than galvanized and stainless for conventional brads or pin nails.

I assume you want these so if they are cut into it won't damage the blade?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I used some brass brads. You only need a half dozen to hold the sacrificial top (where's it going to go). Mine was 1/4 masonite, which lays flat. A needle nose plier, a finishing nail to start the hole (masonite was too hard for the brass), and I was done in 15 min.
    And I did hit one when doing an angle cut.

Trying to avoid damage to saw blade if it hits one.

I always attached the sacrificial top to my RAS with tiny little dots of Titebond and then weighted to do the clamping. When it got chewed up, a putty knife would pop it right off.

I agree with Richard, use glue. In case you do use nails, 99% of the time your carbide saw blade won't be damaged if it hits a non hardened brad.

The Raptor gun is what I'd use for this kind of application...I"ve actually considered buying one for use on my CNC for hold-down situation to back away from using so many screws like I do now. But you are not going to find something as tiny as a 23 gage pin that isn't steel. That said, a carbide blade isn't really going to notice an occasional 23 gage steel fastener... DAMHIKT!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...