Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Quick Questions about Miter Gauges

Two Quick Questions about Miter Gauges

Two quick questions for those of you who use a miter gauge on a table saw. Which side of the blade do you use your miter gauge? Are you right-handed or left-handed? For simplicity please answer those two questions first followed with any reasoning, if any. For me...

Right side of the blade. Left handed. I have no idea why.

Left, right. Cause it just works that way.

Miter gauge on left side of blade.. I am right handed..

That leaves right hand to get cut off piece.

Left side, left handed, cause it just works that way for me.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Right side mitre, Left handed person. I like the support for a long fenced mitre gauge & stock on the right side.
    Just a Duffer

Both sides. The cut being made determines which.

Mostly, the right side of the blade when you're looking at the blade from the cutting position. I'm right handed. My saw is left tilt.

I suppose that most of the time when I use the miter gauge, I'm cutting a 45 degree cut for a miter joint and it works best for me to have the waste on the left side.

For most 90 degree cuts, I have a sliding miter saw.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    Left hand miter slot, right handed saw user. Usually, but will use the right side for cutting a short end off a long piece. I use the crosscut sled far more frequently than the miter gauge.

Blog Entries
    I use my miter gauge predominately to the left side of the blade. I am right handed. I generally use my right hand to hold the stock to the miter gauge fence with help from my left hand. I have on occasions ude my miter gauge to the right side of the blade.

Right miter slot, probably because that's the side with more real estate in my setup. User, Left-handed to very close to truly ambidextrous. I use my hands interchangeably for most tasks.

Blog Entries
    In short; left slot, right handed.

This got me curious so I went on a search. Out of a dozen pages of articles, miter gauge reviews, and build videos I found two cases where the miter gauge was used on the right side of the blade. Both of these were tips from readers. All pictures of miter gauges from makers showed the gauges set up for use on the left side of the blade.

Chris Gochnour, Garrett Hack, and Gary Rogowski . . . all left slot. Sam Maloof, Jim Toplin, Marc Adams, and Philip Lowe . . . yep, them too. Most of these guys are too young or too old to have had my shop teacher but he also taught left slot position for the miter gauge. Obviously the right slot is there for a reason and I have definitely used it for the odd cut. However, the left slot is my normal operation position for the miter gauge.

There is always more than one way to skin the cat and few are absolutely right or wrong. It seems like miter slot preference has less to do with being right or left handed and more to do with who taught you. When making the choice for yourself I think it comes down to body mechanics and what works or feels best, and safest, for you.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-25-2021 at 5:55 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    Two quick questions for those of you who use a miter gauge on a table saw. Which side of the blade do you use your miter gauge? Are you right-handed or left-handed? For simplicity please answer those two questions first followed with any reasoning, if any. For me...

Right side of the blade. Left handed. I have no idea why.
    I’m left handed, so I use the left slot. That way my right hand is closer to the blade, and if I lose that one it’s not such a big deal. Also, my miter sled is set up to work that way.

Right handed, left slot. Dunno why, it just feels natural. I've never had any formal instruction in table saw use, just common sense and tips picked up here and elsewhere.

On a typical North American style table saw, regardless of size, etc., most folks will likely use the left slot with the off-cut to the right. There's no rule that says you have to do that, however, and there may be circumstances where being on the other side can be beneficial. There's no "always correct" answer other than whatever side is best and safest for the intended cut. In addition to a miter gage, sleds offer a lot of value and in some cases good safety when designed for it. Lots of choices.

Just for contrast, with my slider, the miter fence is necessarily to the left of the blade always and for my particular machine, I'm also standing to the left of the blade...literally...for all cutting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Right handed. Left or right depends on the cut, but mostly left side.