Thread: Hands-on feedback on 'new' ACM-sourced SCM bandsaws?

Hands-on feedback on 'new' ACM-sourced SCM bandsaws?

Hi all,
    I'm looking for any opinions from hands-on experience with the s440p/s540p bandsaws (not the older Centauro s400p/s500p - I've already read all those threads and know they are well liked). These are the new ACM-sourced bandsaws from SCM. Exchanged a quick email with Sam Blasco who confirmed they are ACM BS line (apparently heavier duty compared to the lighter Star line)

Does anyone own one or have hands-on time?
    thx

No experience, but I'd be very, very surprised if the new saws were anything less than the previous, given that SCM/Minimax has built a strong case over the years for their machines. I've not seen a lot of evidence on them "cheaping out" on beefiness.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

OP, they will be functionally equivalent to any of the “HD” Lagunas, which have been around forever.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks Jim and Erik,
    I was hoping some owners would chime in but perhaps they are not so common yet
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Morrow View Post
    Thanks Jim and Erik,
    I was hoping some owners would chime in but perhaps they are not so common yet
    Chris

Chris, this is my opinion: Any of the European bandsaws will be the best you ever use. Longevity, workmanship, etc. Buy once, cry once. You won't be unhappy, whatever incarnation you end up with.That being said, it's a shame that Centauro no longer has a distributor here in the US. Those particular machines are something special. For those who still own an original MM16/S400P, don't ever get rid of it.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Maybe we could get together for a group buy?

I've been hunting the used market for a while now. Found one older ~24" Centauro that had been bollixed up in a variety of ways, I was surprised at how little resaw height it had; less than my 14" Delta. The more recent machines have definitely solved that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Chris, this is my opinion: Any of the European bandsaws will be the best you ever use. Longevity, workmanship, etc. Buy once, cry once. You won't be unhappy, whatever incarnation you end up with.That being said, it's a shame that Centauro no longer has a distributor here in the US. Those particular machines are something special. For those who still own an original MM16/S400P, don't ever get rid of it.

Erik
    unless he uses a Northfield.

of course, it’ll never look as sleek and stylish as those Italian saws

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    That being said, it's a shame that Centauro no longer has a distributor here in the US.

Erik
    Hum, http://www.premiermach.com/centauro/

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Sorry, Robert: Calling a dealer like that and asking them to sell you a bandsaw is like asking a John Deere tractor dealer to sell you Vespa. Even if they indulged you, it would probably cost a fortune, take forever to get here, and they would never want to hear from you again.

Now, if some bold soul called them and said, "We're interested in buying a container of Centauro bandsaws", you'd probably get somewhere.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Eric, I guess my only point to the link, was to point out someone is obviously importing Centauro into the US..Not to suggest a one off purchase from this dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Eric, I guess my only point to the link, was to point out someone is obviously importing Centauro into the US..Not to suggest a one off purchase from this dealer.
    Gotcha’, Robert. Interesting story: I randomly walked into a millshop in San Antonio about a year ago. The owner does almost exclusively millwork for historical restorations in our area of Texas. One of those deals where he doesn’t exist on the web but is “the” guy for this type of work. Anyhow, he’s showing me around his shop and lo and behold, there’s a Centauro hydraulic lathe and more shockingly, actually operational and in-use. We had a nice chat about that. First one I’d ever seen in person. Not a common machine here in the states.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

hey Erik, does Felder intend to phase out their 640 ACM sourced bandsaw? I would think it and the SCM 640 would be pretty close comparisons. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    hey Erik, does Felder intend to phase out their 640 ACM sourced bandsaw? I would think it and the SCM 640 would be pretty close comparisons. Dave
    Dave, I don’t think so but then again, our non-ACM machines probably outsell the ACM’s by about 20:1.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep