Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another which lathe question

Quote Originally Posted by David Bolson View Post
    I pulled the trigger on the Rikon. I found a very good deal, making the difference between the Grizzly (including their 5% discount) and the Rikon less than $900. It's still a lot of money, and it really pushed my budget, but its features and warranty seemed worth it to me. I expect it to be the last lathe I'll ever own.

The bad news is that Rikon is waiting for a shipment from China and I probably won't get it until March. I just went through the same thing with a Bosch sander that I ordered. It took me three months to get that one.
    I'm very interested to hear about your experience with this new Rikon 70-3040 lathe. The 3HP motor is a very attractive feature as is the sliding bed / space saving ability. Is there the ability for outboard turning on this? The price is very competitive and warranty impressive. It's definitely on my short list for when I upgrade. So: please share how you like it when you get it and going. ☺️

Allen - I didn’t end up getting the Rikon. I ordered it in January and was told it would arrive on March 15th, to which I agreed. A couple of weeks later, I was told May 1st. I was having lathe withdrawal, and didn’t want to wait that long and I also suspected there could be further delay. So I ended up ordering the Grizzly G0766. Which is currently on its way.

I saw the Rikon at Woodcraft. I didn’t get to use it but the guy ran it through all of the speeds and bed extension. It was impressive.

I hope you will be as happy with your new G0766 as I am with mine. I did a lot of research before I bought mine and I think it's the best lathe for the money on the market.

Just wondering why you need to replace your Nova? Seems like it is large enough and, if weight is the issue there are a ways to remedy that. I own a Comet II midi lathe because I wasn't sure I would keep turning and didn't want to spend a lot of money on a lathe. Since I've turned for over 2 years and now find I'd like more capacity and power and weight, I think I may buy something like a Powermatic 2020 or 3520. However, if I already had a 20" over bed capability I'm not sure I'd even consider spending the money on a new lathe, especially if money was an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Just wondering why you need to replace your Nova?
    The motor on my Nova 2024 died. It is proprietary and unfixable and Teknatool has no more 2024 headstocks.

At least you have a very sturdy saw horse.