Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I made a dumb mistake sizing drawers & drawer fronts: what would you do?

I made a dumb mistake sizing drawers & drawer fronts: what would you do?

Hi all,

I'm building a couple of bathroom vanities and learning some new skills while doing so.

I designed the drawers in the vanities as normal (I think), with with height of the drawers decreasing from bottom to top. As my first photo shows, the top drawer is just a bit smaller than the drawer below it, and so on.

However, my amateur status revealed itself when it came time to attach the drawer fronts: I did not account for the extra drawer front height needed to cover the frameless cabinet carcass (0.75"). Additionally, I left a bit too much clearance above the top drawer box.

The result is that my top drawer box, which is just over 1/2" shorter than the one below it, has a drawer face that is 1/2" larger than the drawer below it. You can see this in my second photo (the drawer faces are just stacked - not yet attached).

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Although I doubt my wife would notice or mind, I don't want my work to scream, "amateur!"

On solution that I thought of: I could adjust the heights of the top two drawer slides and then swap the drawer fronts, but then the wood grain will no longer match (although the wood grain is obscured somewhat by the white stain).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don’t start making more work, it’s not a big deal. I would install the fronts starting at the top so any error will end up at the bottom where it doesn’t matter.

How about a horizontal filler to cover the carcass:

2021-01-24_12h38_50.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

The drawers do not have to increase in height as the go from top to bottom to look right. There is no rule about this.
    This is my dresser. The bottom drawer is shorter in height than the one above it and this is not a mistake.
    I think it can help the visual impact in some cases.

IMG_1225.jpg

I would not change anything in your case. Just adjust any gaps as necessary to make the even; I think that is the most important thing for you to do.

Regards,
    PCG
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would add a decorative and/or functional drawer detail/molding/pull feature to the top of the top drawer front (perhaps in a snazzy contrasting color) that will leave the remaining height of the drawer front (i.e., the unembellished portion of the drawer front) at least equal to and maybe less than the height of the second drawer front, thereby fooling the eye, yielding the size sequence that you originally were targeting. Think about a piece of cherry/bloodwood/etc across the top/front of the top drawer front, sitting on top of and proud of the front, with a recess routed under the front lip. I could draw you a picture, but I cant draw

Those two sideways images, however, are a mistake!
    I don't know how I did that.

PCG

Ha, I did that and I was not a happy camper when I realized what I had done. To date, not a single person has noticed it sufficiently to point it out; or too polite. This was not more than a few years back (1 to three) and I would need to go look to remind myself where I did it. I mean I know which wall, but cannot remember which cabinet I did this.

If you really want it to not look that way, I think Bill (and one other) said put in a filler strip. So, if it bothers you, you have a solution. I would not bother.

Now, if this really bothers you, cut down the top drawer and place a narrow one at the top. Say it is for ice scrapers, gloves, or other thin things. Probably not what you really want for this type of cabinet, but it would match the look that you want.

If you just want to drive everyone crazy, make it look like there are two drawers when there is really only one; then practice your evil villain laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post

Ken, yeah, you should correct it - it will look odd if the top drawer face is higher/taller than the one below it. But this isnt a big problem. Im thinking the same thing as Bill Carey suggests. Maybe make it a molding as Phil Gaudio suggested. But don't beat yourself up about it - most of us (still) have moments like this. The trick is learning how to correct them in a way that looks ok.

Remember to post more pics after you're done so we can enjoy your work.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post

2021-01-24_12h38_50.jpg
    I would add a trip of wood top and bottom all the way across to match the drawer front material.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    ................Now, if this really bothers you, cut down the top drawer and place a narrow one at the top. Say it is for ice scrapers, gloves, or other thin things. .................then practice your evil villain laugh.
    You: "Yes, it's a specialty tooth brush drawer."

Them: "WOW"

You: evil villain laughter while striking a superior pose.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I'd consider using filler strips/edge treatment and work out a way to make this a "feature" as an alternative to making all new drawer fronts.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Can you glue the two drawer fronts together and re-rip to the right sizes?

If you do it with a bandsaw you won't loose much width.

If it really bothers you, just route a v-groove across the top drawer fronts, put two knobs on it, and PRETEND it is a toothbrush drawer.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Several thoughts to consider or ignore.

1. a pullout shelf, just a single thickness board that can set things on when it is pulled out.

2. a small glass cover piece with an led rope light behind it. Use some etched glass or something with a pattern. Make a little “box” so that could not see into a cavity behind it. Would really make the cabinet pop.

Both would require the cutting the top drawer front down to correct size.

I would swap / reverse the two. , top fronts so that the taller one is third from the bottom.

This will necessitate moving the top drawer runners higher and possibly cutting the drawer box down in height