Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drywall repair over metal or plastic brackets

Drywall repair over metal or plastic brackets

Some electrical boxes (like https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1...-40R/202077339 ) are attached to studs with a metal or plastic bracket that fits over the face of the stud. When drywall is removed from a stud in order to install the bracket, what's the best way to repair the drywall?

I suppose a sufficiently skilled person could smoothly "plaster" over the bracket with quick setting joint compound. Another thought would be to use a small patch of drywall which has had some of its back scraped off to compensate for the thickness of the bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Good idea. I like that guy's work and I've watched a lot of his videos, including that one.

I wouldn't repair drywall unless absolutely necessary. I'm not getting a full picture of what you're trying to do, but if you're just installing a box, I'd use an Old Work box. I use the heavy duty ones all the time. If you carefully cut the hole, there is no drywall repair needed. I keep a piece of plywood the exact size for the cutout, to mark by, and use a handle that holds a down-cut jig saw blade. A drop of oil on the screws makes the little flip up keepers behave better at installation.

I like this kind better than the cheaper, flimsier ones.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1...118R/100154882
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-24-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Not understanding why you'd use the box with an external mounting bracket. An old work box is a better choice, or if you can cut the hole right next to a stud, then just fasten the box with screws through the side of the box into the stud. Personally, I don't care for using old work boxes unless I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Not understanding why you'd use the box with an external mounting bracket. An old work box is a better choice, or if you can cut the hole right next to a stud, then just fasten the box with screws through the side of the box into the stud. Personally, I don't care for using old work boxes unless I have to.
    The house in question has 1/2 inch thick drywall. I don't like old work boxes set in drywall that thin - too flimsy. There's going to be lots of drywall repair anyway, so I'm not focused on avoiding drywall work.

True, one can cut out enough drywall around the stud to have room to screw a new work box into the side of the stud. I sometimes do that, but when replacing an old box the basic hole is already there, so all that needs to be done for the bracket type is to chisel away a little drywall off the face of the stud. Also, the type with a bracket are easy to adjust so they sit even with the face of the drywall.

Lay the drywall over the box and rotozip the hole, or use a keyhole saw. Or measure the drywall and carefully mark the location of the box and cut with a keyhole saw, then re-attach. Or use a jig to mark the corners of the box like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Calculat...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Regards,

Tom

Look at those heavy duty old work boxes the next time you're in the electrical aisle in a box store. They're really okay. The material is reinforced with glass fibers, and they maintain their shape, much different than the cheap ones.

I've used almost nothing else for at least a decade, and a half. When I was building new houses, the boxes were installed when the wall material went up. Yes, my method was not only fine with the inspector, but he liked it so much that he said he was going to use the same method on an addition he was building on his house.

I used wide casings in my spec houses, and these boxes allowed me to put light switches away from the casings enough so they didn't look bad, as well as locate them in symmetrical locations, relative to other parts, like windows.

They automatically hold the box perfectly flush with the surface of the wall, so the devices can be pulled up tight, and not slide around on the wall.

There is a small piece of plywood kept in my Electrical tool box for marking the hole. Using the right tool, you can cut a perfectly neat, and tight fitting hole, without damaging the sheetrock. They also allowed me to center the box in any wood parts, like V-joint paneling. Whenever it was that I started using them, I've never wanted to use anything else. They come in multiple, and deep sizes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    The house in question has 1/2 inch thick drywall. I don't like old work boxes set in drywall that thin - too flimsy. There's going to be lots of drywall repair anyway, so I'm not focused on avoiding drywall work.

True, one can cut out enough drywall around the stud to have room to screw a new work box into the side of the stud. I sometimes do that, but when replacing an old box the basic hole is already there, so all that needs to be done for the bracket type is to chisel away a little drywall off the face of the stud. Also, the type with a bracket are easy to adjust so they sit even with the face of the drywall.
    My suggestion then would be to remove a longer strip of drywall over the stud so you can fasten it back properly with screws and then do the mud work. Trying to fill larger gaps with "stuff" invariably may not give you the best surface in my experience. because even "non-shrinking stuff" still seems to shrink. Using a longer strip lets you bed it in, tape it and feather the mud properly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Look at those heavy duty old work boxes the next time you're in the electrical aisle in a box store. They're really okay.
    The boxes themselves are sturdy. It's the old drywall around the old work boxes that I don't trust.

Once the hole is cut, there should be enough room to reach in, and glue a piece of wood to the sheetrock with Powergrab. If you fumble one inside the wall, and it drops, it won't matter.

They make boxes that are combination old/new work that screw into studs... just like pocket screws.
    NEC allows interior fasteners as long as the wire is protected from the heads. These are recessed in the integrated countersink.

5A57253E-36F8-403F-9178-F2D3742A444D.jpeg

This is one brand. 22.5 cu.in. so can hold gfci or electronic timers or stuff. About $2/box but less expensive than patch and paint.
    There are also some where the screw/countersink assembly is disjoint from the box in slots, allowing for adjustment of depth, both initially and should you ever add paneling or whatever, although the one pictured can be removed and reinstalled if need be.
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 01-26-2021 at 8:57 AM. Reason: last sentence
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    They make boxes that are combination old/new work that screw into studs... just like pocket screws.
    NEC allows interior fasteners as long as the wire is protected from the heads. These are recessed in the integrated countersink.

This is one brand. 22.5 cu.in. so can hold gfci or electronic timers or stuff. About $2/box but less expensive than patch and paint.

I thought there was something like that! I'd go for that for an old work box being mounted at a stud location!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries

There are also some where the screw/countersink assembly is disjoint from the box in slots, allowing for adjustment of depth, both initially and should you ever add paneling or whatever, although the one pictured can be removed and reinstalled if need be.
    This. I know you're doing other drywall repairs, but why make more work for yourself?

Very good idea! Do you have a brand name or a link to the kind with the disjoint assembly?