Thread: dust collection ducting - moving to larger shop

dust collection ducting - moving to larger shop

I currently have a 300 sq ft shop and have run a PM 1.75 HP dust collection system (Oneida Super dust deputy and Wynn filter) successfully for about 5 years. I go 2 years in between filter cleaning and use a pressure gauge at filter to watch filter loading. I used a lot of cobbled together 5" hvac ducting and some longer-than-I-would-liked flex ducting in my old system. I have the usual machines such as 8" jointer, 15" planer, 12-36 lathe, 12" chop saw, etd. I have just moved into about 950 sq ft and plan to use the same unit. I realize I "should" have more HP, etc. However, my plan is to switch over to nice smooth 5" ID PVC and not use my old 5" hvac and radically minimize using flex duct where possible. Btw, the dust deputy has a 5" inlet and I run 5" all the way to machines - I have adapted 5" collection at all machines except for one that is 4". Also, my old shop had 8' ceilings and my new shop has 10' ceilings. (If I mount ducting at ceiling, it will have to lift chips 2 ft higher - is that an issue?) I'm positioning my dust collector closer to planer, table saw and jointer than other machines. What do you all think? And what is the best way to mount duct work to ceiling, at ceiling or dropped down a foot or two and what gizmos would you use to attach? Thanks. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

I would mount it as high as possible to not block light. I hang mine with plumbers tape or old auto serpentine belts screwed to the ceiling. 6" PVC is cheaper then 5" and the fitting are much cheaper in most places..

I used the strap hangers and strong plastic ties that Peter Kelley and Jim Becker recommended in this series of posts:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....n-Hanging-Pipe

My second question would be: With smooth ducting, do you think 1.75hp will be sufficient?
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)