Thread: Jessum routrlift11 @ $187 vs Jessum mastrlift $389

Jessum routrlift11 @ $187 vs Jessum mastrlift $389

I am buying a benchtop router table (probably Kreg) and a Bosch 1617 for light duty making decorative boxes. I want a lift. It seems to me that the more expensive lift
    is built heavier w 3 hp routers in mind. Any reason why I should buy the more expensive lift?

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    Can't comment on one lift vs the other, but will say that as the relatively recent owner of a Mast-R-Lift Excel II table that I'm not super impressed with Jessem's ring insert system. Incra's magnetic ring inserts (MagnaLock) look like a better solution to me. The plastic Jessem rings can bind in the plate/table. Not a huge problem, but definitely something that I have to be careful with. Incra owners might have their own experiences with the Magnalock system.

I can say that the Mast-R-Lift system is rock solid and extremely high quality - whether you choose Jessem or Incra.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Seng View Post
    Incra's magnetic ring inserts (MagnaLock) look like a better solution to me..
    Metal on metal contact is enough for me not to want to go with the Incra style rings. Expensive router bit vs plastic/ replace insert. Expensive router bit vs metal insert/ replace both, your choice.

Blog Entries
    This is always a tough call. Your best responder will be one who has had a light weight lift and then moved to a heavy duty unit. Someone who has only had a light lift will think it is great and it is compared to not having one. You've probably already learned that you tend change things as your skills or projects change. Having used a 10-12 amp router in a table versus a 15 amp router in a table the greater mass and power is a greater step than the few amps might indicate. You may never need a more powerful table router. If you ever do it would be nice to not have to forklift upgrade your lift. JMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've had aluminum Jessum rings for ages. Only one, the smallest, had a bit hit it at some point. Being aluminum, like the Incra, it does no noticeable damage to a carbide bit.

My bad, Incras are steel.
    Last edited by Bob Johnson2; 01-24-2021 at 5:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Johnson2 View Post
    I've had aluminum Jessum rings for ages. Only one, the smallest, had a bit hit it at some point. Being aluminum, like the Incra, it does no noticeable damage to a carbide bit.
    The Incra Magna Lock Rings are steel, not aluminum.

The Magna Lock Rings are available in normal solid versions, ventilated versions for dust collection, and a PC-compatible guide bushing holder version.

I consider the risk of the router bit colliding with the ring to be minimal and acceptable.

I have the Incra Mast-R-Lift-II-R lift, and am very happy with it. The only difference between it and the Jessum version (they are both made by Jessum) is the throat insert style and the anodized finish color.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

First, you will probably be very happy with either. Just so that we are clear. Do you know the differences? From my perspective, one of the biggest differences is that if you choose to upgrade to a different router in the future, however, you may need to replace your router if you get the Rout-R-Lift II. Based on the price, you may not care, but, if I replaced my router lift, I probably need to make even more changes; for example, will the new plate drop directly in place? Will it still fit into case that I built under my table for dust collection....

That is kind of a big deal.

I think that there is a difference with the top routing plate as well.

I considered upgrading my router to something a bit heavier and quickly "noped" out given that I would need to replace my lift.

$200 buy a used shaper.
    Bil lD