Thread: Replacement laser for Mini Monster hollowing system

Replacement laser for Mini Monster hollowing system

I stupidly damaged the housing and plastic lens in the laser for my mini monster hollowing system. Anyone have an idea as to where I can buy a replacement? TIA
    Michael

Check with Simple Hollowing System made by HarrisonSpecialty.
    https://www.harrisonspecialties.com/...lowing-system/
    If the shaft size on the laser mount is the same, it would work. If not, you may be able to use bushings to make it fit. Measure the shaft diameter between the two. Is the swiveling arm of your unit made of aluminum or some other type of metal? You can make this work by drilling the hole to fit or using a bushing of sorts. If you have any questions about that particular system, call Anne at Harrison's. She is extremely helpful and will go the extra mile to help.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Thanks, Steve. I'll check Harrison's out since I'm going to be ordering some tools from them soon.

Now might be the time to switch to camera/monitor set up. It can be done for about $75.00. I changed to the camera 5 years ago and would never go back.

I'll have to look into this, Dwight. Until recently I had never heard of this. Unfortunately your $75 probably translates into well over $100 for me up here in Canada. For now I might just ry cheap diodes from Amazon to see if I can make them work. They're about $1 each including shipping.

Take a look at what Amazon in Canada has to offer, the components needed are;
    CCTV camera with power supply
    7” auto back-up monitor
    cable to connect the camera and monitor

if you are going to stay with the laser set up suggest you buy a laser diode , a battery box for two AA batteries and some wire.

I'm with the group that suggests it might be time for a camera. I'm in Canada and I did mine for really cheap. The trick for me was to find an inexpensive flat screen tv. I tried with the back up camera monitor but found it just too small. I wound up powering my camera from a 12volt brick so I don't have to worry about batteries.OH and I find a monitor that is magnetic is great as far as repositioning the cutter outline.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Thanks, Dwight. Now that I've watched a video about the process I am intrigued. I'm going to look into it more. My old laser is actually still working well enough to be of use until I come up with something else.

Peter, can you provide some details on what you purchased? After watching a video on it I'm quite intrigued and would like to look into buying what I need to set things up.

Michael here is a link to a blog where I shared what I learned. By the way if you just buy a cheap camera and want to try it out I have the small screen that I would ship to you if you wanted to pay the shipping.

https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress.com

Then use the search top left to find Video.

Ps I now use round washer magnets from Lee Valley which I position on the screen over the cutter to proved me with a constant distance from eh cutter to guide me to my final thickness . . .
    Last edited by Peter Blair; 01-27-2021 at 12:52 PM. Reason: I messed up the link
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Thanks, Peter. I just tried to access the link but it thinks I want to edit your blog. When did you write it so I can go by the date on your site?
    thanks for the offer of the screen! How big is it? I'd be happy to pay the shipping. Does this camera look like it would work? https://www.amazon.ca/Security-Digit...61580&sr=8-152
    Last edited by Michael Armstrong; 01-27-2021 at 10:42 AM.

I just found it. Who'd have thought a simple search would give it to me😜🥴

Fixed the link I think . . .
    Pete

Hey Peter. Can you get a quote on what the shipping for the monitor would be? I'm definitely interested. I've ordered a camera