Thread: DOes anyone have/care to rate a Laguna Laguna MDCCF15110

DOes anyone have/care to rate a Laguna Laguna MDCCF15110

I'm looking for a dust collector; sold my inept one and want to start using my power tools again. In honesty, instead of messing around, I'd rather buy a unit with cyclone attached and (supposedly) engineered than adding a cyclone later and trying to marry and fit.
    Local companies have 2HP cyclone systems and, some local distributors have the Laguna collectors.
    Although the Laguna has a rating of "only" 1.5 HP, after reading this forum extensively over the last few months, I'm not really sure that's a disqualifier; I'd rather know what you think of this machine in use.
    My other candidate is <https://www.busybeetools.com/products/2-hp-cyclone-dust-collector-w-hepafilter.html>
    Can anyone please offer their ratings?
    I use a Rigid table saw, Jet jointer and DeWalt 735 plane, with 4" outlets; the cir. saw will be getting an enclosure and if possible a 6" duct.
    Band saw is 2 1/2" outlet and the sanders and other msc. are on a shop vac with a mini cyclone.
    I MAY some day get a drum sander.
    I know many of you have some serious chops in this area; Yes, I wear a respirator when cutting/sanding by machine even when I'm pulling vacuum. I've been diagnosed with lung/dust issues, so .....
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

If you are thinking of a drum sander, I would go big as they produce a lot of fine sawdust.

If you have lung issues, I would get a 3 hp DC and an air filter.

Short cone cyclones don't typically separate as well as long-cone designs, but almost all of the smaller, wheel around cyclone setups use that design for obvious reasons. So if you intend to move it machine to machine with a short hose, you'll generally be fine for your intended application. Just keep in mind that with dust collection, it's all about moving air, not "suction"....the more air a machine can move, the more dust it can collect. If you intend to install ductwork, I honestly believe you will be better served with a larger, more capable system based on what I just mentioned about moving air.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

links
    https://www.busybeetools.com/products/2-hp-cyclone-dust-collector-w-hepafilter.html

https://bislagunatools.com/mdccf1511...collector.html

Laguna is 9.8 amps while busy bee is only 9 but claims 30% more power. Laguna charges extra for 240 wiring? Laguna looks to be longer cone for better separation. laguna comes with remote control.
    Both are 6" inlet so use 6" pvc or sheet metal ducts. Is height an issue?
    Busy bee claims much quieter DB.
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-24-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Short cone cyclones don't typically separate as well as long-cone designs, but almost all of the smaller, wheel around cyclone setups use that design for obvious reasons.
    How does separation of the small oneida cyclones (mini dust gorilla or the 5/6" dust deputies) compare to the separation in the (laguna/jet) squat cyclones?

I recently added a large dust-deputy to save my 1.5hp jet dc filters from cedar shavings, and have been quite happy with the separation, but I'm comparing against either no separation or the abysmal separation of a trash-can separator, rather than against what the tall cyclones can do.

(I also now appreciate the potential to overfill an undersized collection bin below the cyclone and end up with everything going to the filter stage)

Matt

So, height IS an issue. Then my question could be, if I go to a 3HP machine without a cyclone, would I be better off? I'm thinking a 3HP with cartridge. Does the cyclone (even after-market) merely reduce the junk going past the cartridge and into the collection bag?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    How does separation of the small oneida cyclones (mini dust gorilla or the 5/6" dust deputies) compare to the separation in the (laguna/jet) squat cyclones?
    At least one member here had to front-end his short cone cyclone with a Super Dust Deputy to get it to be worth anything. The long versus short cone conversation comes up frequently. I guess because there are so many short cone machines now. If you have room for a full size cyclone, get one. If you HAVE to buy a short cone (you're in a basement or other height restricted situation), the good news is that you can pick just about any one out there. They are readily available but, problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    So, height IS an issue. Then my question could be, if I go to a 3HP machine without a cyclone, would I be better off? I'm thinking a 3HP with cartridge. Does the cyclone (even after-market) merely reduce the junk going past the cartridge and into the collection bag?
    Here's the basic building blocks on that . . .
    - If your return air is exhausted into your breathing air you need to filter it very well.
    - A filter that captures very fine particles can clog quickly.
    - A cyclone keeps the filter from clogging quickly.

Nirvana would be to vent outside. Not everyone can do that. Most of us return our air into the shop. In that situation the current best balance for clean breathing air without a high amount of filter maintenance is a full size cyclone with a very good filter. As you deviate from this the balance shifts to the negative. The amount you can move away from a good solution is a balance of your concerns about your health, money, physical limitations and filter maintenance commitment
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-24-2021 at 12:34 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post

I honestly don't know the answer to the question.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Laguna short cyclone and had to front end it with a big Dust Deputy. The short cyclone just does not do a good job of separating the swarf, way too much was getting past the cyclone, so the filter was getting clogged on a regular basis. I would not recommend a short cyclone at all.

An older friend is beginning to sell off his shop and I may purchase his long cyclone dust collector.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.