Thread: Amusing Commercials - Did Anyone Think About This?

Amusing Commercials - Did Anyone Think About This?

Wife and I watch together the news hour, plus two episodes of MASH nightly. It's the commercials that get us. Some months back I had posted about the Renvoque commercial where the driver changes sides of the car. Here are couple more, first WeatherTech's. Guy arrives at home, in the snow, goes into the house, and realizes his phone is in the car. When he goes back out, snowman has phone. Here is the problem, even though he has arrived home in the snow, there are no wheel tracks in the snow. Second Weather Tech, lady is stuck in the snow, with rear wheels on car spinning. Only problem is it's a front wheel drive car. Now to USSA insurance. Guy suffers a hail storm. Shingles on roof have to be replaced along with wind shield on truck. One small problem, there is no hail damage to hood of truck.

Blog Entries
    We tend to record programs and watch them later. We mis most commercials by fast forwarding. Some commercials are as good as most programs. We might watch those a few times.

Though watching for the same mistakes in movies and other programs is kind of fun.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    We haven't had cable or over the air TV for many years, so I haven't seen a regular TV commercial for a long time. My main source of commercials is YouTube. Most are just something to be endured, but there are lots of excellent, funny, entertaining commercials & I enjoy watching them.

Blog Entries
    There used to be a website that posted thousands of commercials mostly for their humor or cleverness.

For some reason they no longer exist.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Wife and I watch together the news hour, plus two episodes of MASH nightly. It's the commercials that get us. Some months back I had posted about the Renvoque commercial where the driver changes sides of the car. Here are couple more, first WeatherTech's. Guy arrives at home, in the snow, goes into the house, and realizes his phone is in the car. When he goes back out, snowman has phone. Here is the problem, even though he has arrived home in the snow, there are no wheel tracks in the snow. Second Weather Tech, lady is stuck in the snow, with rear wheels on car spinning. Only problem is it's a front wheel drive car. Now to USSA insurance. Guy suffers a hail storm. Shingles on roof have to be replaced along with wind shield on truck. One small problem, there is no hail damage to hood of truck.
    There is a commercial for Campbell's soup refering to the "Souper You".... the guy is eating his soup and looks out the window and see's his neighbour stuck in the snow in the street and the front wheel spinning as she's trying to go forward. He grabs a bag of cat litter and runs out and pours it BEHIND the wheel. It would obviously have to be put in front of the spinning wheel in order to pull it under the tire but she drives away anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There used to be a website that posted thousands of commercials mostly for their humor or cleverness.

For some reason they no longer exist.
    I wouldn't be surprised if some creators of the commercials claimed copyright and asked that their content be pulled from the site.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if some creators of the commercials claimed copyright and asked that their content be pulled from the site.
    That was my guess. That seems crazy if it got people to look at their message. Though it could be the agencies ticked at not getting paid after the commercial was no longer being used by the client.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That was my guess. That seems crazy if it got people to look at their message. Though it could be the agencies ticked at not getting paid after the commercial was no longer being used by the client.
    Most websites have advertising of some sort. It may very well be the original advertisers don't want their commercials next to other advertising the original advertiser doesn't agree with. Or, they simply don't want anyone making money from their content.

Does anyone think about those things? They certainly do in a professional production facility. When working I produced a lot of technical videos with both camera footage and animation and paid close attention to discrepancies. When working with other video production people on large projects several of us would review every major edit, make notes, and discuss things that didn't make sense as well as things that could be improved.

I think today some video production values have gone the direction print publishing went decades ago with the sudden availability of inexpensive desktop publishing software. Instead of using professional writers and editors any manager and secretary could create and publish something for very little expense. Professionalism took a huge dive.

Not too many years ago video editing required a significant expense in equipment, computer hardware, and training. My editing system was probably over $100,000 and that was fairly low end. Now, anyone with a laptop can edit and produce videos, even TV commercials, author DVDs. The pros just shake their heads at some of the truly embarrassing and sometimes hilarious mistakes. Like the old saying goes, because someone learns the tricks of the trade doesn't mean he knows the trade.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I think today some video production values have gone the direction print publishing went decades ago with the sudden availability of inexpensive desktop publishing software. Instead of using professional writers and editors any manager and secretary could create and publish something for very little expense. Professionalism took a huge dive.

JKJ
    Most skilled crafts keep their disciplines "behind the curtain" to make the difficult appear effortless.

It's the difference between gymnastics and acrobatics.

These video production companies are competing for an ever smaller share of shrinking advertising budgets.

Truly capable agencies have already branched into media other than broadcast TV - and it was invisible.

What we see, is what's left.

Used to be, all the best commercials showed up during the Superbowl, probably because the huge audience justified higher production values.

Which make me wonder what the DieHard people have planned for Superbowl LV next month, because the Bruce Willis one that came out a couple months back would have been "Best Of Show" most years.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    I think weather tech should make shingles. Great use for old tires.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Used to be, all the best commercials showed up during the Superbowl, probably because the huge audience justified higher production values.

Which make me wonder what the DieHard people have planned for Superbowl LV next month, because the Bruce Willis one that came out a couple months back would have been "Best Of Show" most years.
    we all know that the super bowl is really about the commercials with some football in between.
    reminds me of the Band Day at the University of Kansas. Marching bands came from all over the region to perform and compete. In the middle the KU football team came on the field for a twenty minute scrimmage.

go chiefs!