Thread: Hutch : Attaching upper case to lower alternatives ?

Hutch : Attaching upper case to lower alternatives ?

Greetings all
    I am nearing the end of this hutch project in butternut and walnut but have not come to terms as to how I will secure the upper glass case to the lower base cabinet.

I am building this to be free standing so the back has some aesthetic appeal.

This whole project is a mimic of Tony Konovoloff's walnut hutch with my own spin. He uses a housed sliding dovetail for the connection but I'm a bit apprehensive to use this joint with butternut for number of reasons.

I am entertaining the thought of using these cross dowels with button covers but this is working against my own craftsman ethic with the addition of visible hardware. If I go this route my intention is to mill a 1/4" long x 5/16" wide tongue at the bottom of the sides (7/8" stock) and partition of the upper cabinet to create registration into the lower cab then drill the 1/4" holes for the through bolts to connect to the cross dowel.
    The upper case is narrow enough to pull this off as I have just enough room inside the lower cab for a flathead 1/4-20 bolt to pass up through to the upper case.

I gave thought to permanently attaching the upper case to the lower sub top then screw the sub top in place but this is risky because the walnut trim on the sides is a sliding dovetail joint. I foresee issues with someone trying to set the upper assembly in place and breaking the dovetail joint because the fit is too precise.

I'm wondering about some other methods that I don't know about for making the attachment? Suggestions anyone ?

Dennis.

DSC_0071.jpgDSC_0050.jpgDSC_0108.jpgDSC_0107.jpgDSC_0110.jpg

Can the top unit be unattached and just sit on the lower? I understand that a lot of 2-piece cabinets are made this way. Mine is.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Dave
    The intent here is to make this a two piece unit for future transport. The top case really needs to be secured (in my opinion) to the lower case. I just have not worked out how yet. Looking for some ideas beyond the two mentioned.

D.

I would join the subtop and upper case together and fasten that unit from below as the simplest method. I recognize the sliding dovetail as a possible weak point when lifting the upper assembly but I don't understand your statement "I foresee issues with someone trying to set the upper assembly in place and breaking the dovetail joint because the fit is too precise." Does a precise fit make it weaker?

You might use hanger bolts or epoxy potted bolts embedded in the upper partitions extending through the subtop and secured to the lower stretchers. You would probably have to counterbore for the nuts on the underside of the stretches or notch the drawer backs.

Thanks for your input Kevin

The precise fit I was referring to is the trim to the lower cab not the sliding dovetail itself.
    The trim overhangs the lower cabinet by 1/4" fitting snug to the sides with little to no wiggle room. At some point someone else will be attempting to set the whole assembly in place and will inevitably grab the trim at the weakest location then have trouble getting everything lined up , possibly putting undue pressure on joint.

This is probably me being more concerned than I need to be. The butternut dovetail is 3/8" at the narrow point. I will give this more thought. I suspect, as you stated, this is the simplest method.

BTW
    Where in VT are you?
    I'm in Westmore.

I see your point. Perhaps leaving the subtop loose would be safer. Hanger bolts would be hidden.

I am in Huntington. Come visit if the plague ever lets up.

I'd love to come by? I suspect you operate a business?
    I'm just a hobbyist enjoying what I can in the basement.
    D.