Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To those with short cyclones

So here lies the question, knowing that a short cyclone doesn't work as well compared to a longer one, why no pony up the extra money and get something that works like it should without having to monkey with it to make it work. Other list height being the deciding factor, you say you don't have that problem. Also you list you have bought some very nice machines, so why not buy a nice dust collector that works, sure they aren't sexy like a table saw or 15" planer, but make a big difference in how you work overall. The time enjoyed working in your shop rather than having to deal with a piece that causes problems is worth the money to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Seng View Post
    I have a Grizzly G0862 (3HP). It has a short cyclone - I needed to use a short cyclone model because I have a fairly low ceiling in the shop. The dust collector has a 35 gallon barrel and I get about a half gallon of dust and chips in the bag below the filter for every full barrel. Not bad to deal with at all. I run the "beater bars" in the filter at the end of each day in the shop. This particular machine is ~relatively~ quiet - or at least not deafening. My shop is 30x30 and I can easily have a conversation when the dust collector is running - just have to raise my voice a little bit. I've been very happy with it. I'm still running with a couple of Rockler 21 ft 4" hoses and move the connections as needed - not sure enough of the "final" <grin> machine configuration to run hard pipes yet, but even with the two long corrugated hoses I get great air flow. Good luck in your selection of a machine. And don't get sucked too far down the dust collection rabbit hole - remember, perfection is the enemy of Good Enough.
    ++^^ What Dave said..

To the OP: I obsessed about this myself recently. The long cones are better, but would the short cone be good enough for my small hobby setup. In the end, after reading everything I could find, I decided to go with the short cone. I haven't set it up yet, and I know its not perfect at collection, but I saved money, it's portable, and I think it will be fine for me.

When the shop itself dictates using the short cone version, that's a good choice over something lesser...'just understand the small difference over the long-cone versions so you can adapt to that including maintaining the filters, etc. If I had to go into a small shop situation for some reason, I'd likely opt for one myself...I'd never use a single stage setup for this application personally.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    ++^^ What Dave said..

To the OP: I obsessed about this myself recently. The long cones are better, but would the short cone be good enough for my small hobby setup. In the end, after reading everything I could find, I decided to go with the short cone. I haven't set it up yet, and I know its not perfect at collection, but I saved money, it's portable, and I think it will be fine for me.
    I went through this also, and the only way i'd get a long cone model in is if the motor went up between the floor joists. Based on measurements I could have maybe got the Grizzly G0441 and run it with the 35 gallon drum as it would have been 93 5/16 inches and it would have just cleared. In my house, the family room is right above my basement workshop area and the noise is loud enough without the motor right up by the joists.

With that said, my Laguna has fantastic separation. I get very little in the filter/filter bag. About a cup of dust for each dust bin fill.