Thread: Control dust before spraying

Control dust before spraying

I need to spray in the garage shop i just used to build a cabinet. I’ll be spraying either SW or BM paint. I know i can sweep/vacuum/clean but how long should i wait for the dust to settle? How much do i need to be concerned about this?

If you leave things quiet overnight or for a day, you should be fine after a deep cleaning. Using a fan to blow air outside while you are cleaning will help with that, too. Just be sure to get the space AND the workpiece back up to the proper temp range for the finish which is typically 68ºF and up. You can "get away" with 60-65ºF, but that's not the best if you can avoid it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you leave things quiet overnight or for a day, you should be fine after a deep cleaning. Using a fan to blow air outside while you are cleaning will help with that, too. Just be sure to get the space AND the workpiece back up to the proper temp range for the finish which is typically 68ºF and up. You can "get away" with 60-65ºF, but that's not the best if you can avoid it.
    Jim - Thank you for this and all the other sage advice you've given me on my many questions! -Steve

I vacuum up, set up my temporary spray booth, and start spraying within 30 minutes. There's no need to wait. The biggest thing is to get the floor clean so that you don't stir up sawdust with the spray air. A few micron sized particles floating in the air won't cause defects.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I vacuum up, set up my temporary spray booth, and start spraying within 30 minutes. There's no need to wait. The biggest thing is to get the floor clean so that you don't stir up sawdust with the spray air. A few micron sized particles floating in the air won't cause defects.

John
    Thanks John!

-Sweep
    -Vacuum everything, starting at the edges
    -Next day wet mop the floor and when dry you are ready to go

This is common practice for the boat building group that I am in.

Regards,
    PCG