Thread: Mystery Plane Irons

Mystery Plane Irons

I bought several vintage plane irons on-line which were described as mostly Stanley.
    The package arrived today and the description was correct - 5 Stanleys and 2 that I could not identify.
    The non-Stanley irons were ones I have not seen before.

The first has "DHP" within a diamond shape logo:
    DHPiron.jpg
    The long side edges of this DHP iron were actually rounded - not sharply squared-off edges like I'm used to seeing.

The logo on the second was harder to see due to corrosion, but I had some success with a wire brush.
    It appears to have the letters "T" and "H" on top of each other with the letters "C" and "O" at the bottom of each leg of the letter H:
    Mystery_Iron_1.jpg
    The other unusual thing about this iron was that the top was thin and the iron's thickness increased to the bottom bevel (top was .070", bottom was .180"):
    Mystery_Iron_2.jpg

Has anyone seen these before?

Blog Entries
    The tapered blade is not uncommon. Used a lot in wood body planes and even some metal planes. Somewhere one of mine is actually stamped Stanley.

The hard part about telling who made an iron with an unknown mark is we are not even sure if it was made in America or some other country.

A few nights ago, while watching an episode of 'The Repair Shop' on Netflix, one of the pan shots of the shop scanned a plane. It looked very much like the typical Bailey pattern plane though it had 'ACORN' on the lever cap.

On the T H CO blade my thought is the CO is for Company.

There was a Diamond Edge logo used years ago by Shapleigh's Hardware Company. The Shapleigh logo was dropped in about 1860 and replaced with the Diamond Edge logo. One of my scythes has the old logo. A hardware store that went out of business back in the 1970s actually had a new snath (handle). The old one was getting pretty rickety.

Out of curiosity a relatively new search engine was tried:

TinEye.png

Same answer for both blade marks.

Just for fun another trade mark was tried:

Just for Fun.png

It leads to Bob Kuane's site with the Stanley logos date page.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The DHP is the DH Prutton Machine Tool Company of Cleveland. Here's an SMC thread that includes one: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....n-Tool-Company

The other is Hartford Tool Company. Here's a photo from the Time Tested Tools website, and an SMC thread that includes one: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....n-one-of-these

Last edited by Rob Luter; 01-23-2021 at 6:30 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Dang Rob, it seems your memory works better than a new fangled search engine!

To add a little information to the linked posts without waking up some zombies…

Union Manufacturing Company spun off their plane making division and the stamp on the iron changed to Union Plane Mfg. Co. in ~1917. Stanley purchased UPM Co in 1920.

Some Union planes have the lateral lever attachment rivet above the disk and some have it below. Time Tested Tools may have further/better information.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Rob and Jim for the information!

I've got one too that I can't ID. Any guesses? The readable portion of the punched makers mark on the plane (also the only mark on the plane) reads as "...........K Tool Co. Warranted Cast Steel" I have attached some pictures below. As with the DH Prutton iron that James had, this is also tapered from top to bottom.
    Aiden
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"