Thread: It is almost the end of the month . . . . .

Blog Entries

It is almost the end of the month . . . . .

and it is the first month of the year.

Am I the only old dog that is saddened by the speed of it's passing?

Interesting Lowell how our perception of and value of the days we've been blessed with changes as we age.
    When young, I couldn't wait to get through the school year to summer. Looked forward to the day that I was old enough to get a paper route and earn money. Looked forward to getting my drivers' license. Couldn't wait until I graduated high school. Couldn't wait to get college done with. Couldn't wait to get a job, get married, have kids, get our first house, etc. Then for decades I couldn't wait until I retired.

Now retired, I look back and wish I had not been in such a hurry; I wish I had "smelled the roses" more often. I tell my grandkids to enjoy the moment while they plan for the future. I'm not sure they understand, I probably wouldn't have at their age either. Not sure I get it totally even now.

And to answer your question, yes, I am a little saddened by the speed of which time passes but I am grateful for each new day I've been given as well. To quote the good book, "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." I wish I had been better at that early on in life, but I am striving to do it now.

Stay well and enjoy the day. I've always enjoyed your posts, you have so much life and woodworking experience to offer the SMC community and it's great that you share.
    Last edited by Jon Grider; 01-22-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    When young, I couldn't wait to get through the school year to summer. Looked forward to the day that I was old enough to get a paper route and earn money. Looked forward to get my drivers' license. Couldn't wait until I graduated high school. Couldn't wait to get college done with. Couldn't wait to get a job, get married, have kids, get our first house, etc. Then for decades I couldn't wait until I retired.
    Sometimes it seems we cursed ourselves when young by wishing that time would go by faster. Now we have been granted our wish while we wish time would go by slower.

An old man was walking along a road when he saw a little boy sitting on the curb crying.
    The man asked, "young man, why are you crying?"
    The little boy fighting back his tears said, "I can't do what the big boys are doing."
    The old man sat down by the boy and started crying too.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

doing the math, we're only 71% done with this month- if you're going to reduce the lengths of months by nearly 30%, time is REALLY gonna fly by!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

When I was a young man, an old man told me that he was old enough that Christmas came twice a year. I thought he was just nuts. Now that I'm no longer a young man, I understand what he was saying.

While I agree with the "live for the moment" idea, given the situation we are in, I kinda wish the next few months would rush by so we can get to a better place sooner then slow down so we can enjoy it.

Days are open
    Skies are free
    The time it took to learn that
    Couldn’t leave it’s chains on me

Jorma Kaukonen

This song always comes to my mind...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cozCYJCK4Bg

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    This song always comes to my mind...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cozCYJCK4Bg
    I like it!

I can't remember a time when I couldn't wait for January and February to be in the rear view mirror. Being semi-retired now they are easier to endure because I no longer have to scrape car windows in the morning or slip and slide on the way to work and back. The good news is that I have a comfortable temperature controlled work shop to get me though the two months of the year that I would rather skip.

I prefer the warmer months that provide more tolerable temperatures so I can enjoy being outside.

Agree. Jan and Feb are the two hardest months for me. But when I get through Jan, I know I'm halfway through and I can see the light at the end of the winter tunnel.

March and April can be just as brutal here weather wise, but March and April mean Spring is coming. Sometimes it takes until June to arrive, but so far, it has never failed me.

One more week, one more week.

I tolerate hot better than cold and gloomy. This winter has been real dark so I recently bought one of those lights that you
    use in the morning to get happy. I think it is helping. In my teens I had a summer job at a plant nursery and often spent
    hours at a time in a 130 degree green house. Drank 3 gallons of water and 5 or 6 Cokes each 8 to 10 hour work day.

Growing up I liked Jan because we would just be finishing up planting and the work load would go down. Greenhouse work is a 24 hour a day job in the winter as you had to monitor the temp and make sure the boilers were working so I got to stay home by myself at night when my parents went out to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    doing the math, we're only 71% done with this month- if you're going to reduce the lengths of months by nearly 30%, time is REALLY gonna fly by!
    The problem lately is that the weeks seem to fly by, but there are seven of them in every month.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

My wife and I were just commenting how 2020 flew by, despite the fact that we can't actually go anywhere or do anything. Odd feeling.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep