Thread: dewalt dw788 scroll saw

dewalt dw788 scroll saw

Hi all

Hoping you can help. I have my eye on a used dewalt 788 scroll saw. Great condition. Hardly used. Comes with stand on rollers and light. When I asked how old the machine was I was told it was bought back in year 2000. I am sure the unit has changed since then as they still sell it today. What can you tell me about purchasing a 788 that is that old? I did learn about the type 1 and 11 motors. They are asking $300. for everything.
    Thanks
    Paul

Take it and run. Great saw. Great price.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Mine's about that age. I haven't looked at the new ones but I can't imagine what they could have done to improve it. Sounds like a good price to me.

I bought one from that time frame about 6-7 years ago. I paid the same. It runs every time I hit the switch. I did take it apart and clean it and I adjusted the tension rods to eliminate the slop and knocking. Plenty of videos on this. Purrs like a sewing machine. I had two scroll saws prior to picking up the 788 and if it ever fails and I see the need to purchase another one, I would not hesitate to spend the money on a new one. They haven't changed much from what I've seen and this Saw is a beast. I did do the mod to hold the arm up.

Blog Entries
    Take it and run. Mine is about 10 years old and does everything I want and does it well. When I started shopping I ended up deciding it was the best machine I could get below the $1000 mark.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks guys. I picked the scroll saw up today and it is a beast. Thanks for the info. The seller gave me the receipt from 20 years ago. She paid 430 for it. 20 years later sold it for 300. Not bad