Thread: MDF or Plywood over stove

MDF or Plywood over stove

We have been doing some renovations in the kitchen and removed a microwave/hood that was mounted over the stove. My wife now wants a shelf there (it's high enough that I'm not concerned about flames). I was going to just going to build a simple wood frame, attach to cabinets on either side and to the rear wall, and top it with either MDF or a sanded plywood and then paint it all. I've never used MDF, so not sure about it. My concerns are with the moisture from boiling water and general heat. Which would I be better with?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dennis View Post
    We have been doing some renovations in the kitchen and removed a microwave/hood that was mounted over the stove. My wife now wants a shelf there (it's high enough that I'm not concerned about flames). I was going to just going to build a simple wood frame, attach to cabinets on either side and to the rear wall, and top it with either MDF or a sanded plywood and then paint it all. I've never used MDF, so not sure about it. My concerns are with the moisture from boiling water and general heat. Which would I be better with?
    Some kind of metal venting structure.

A vent hood, not a shelf.

Shelf.jpg

Rather than fuss with wood, why not just go to a restaurant supply and get something like this? The also make them with pot hangers below the shelf, or you can have a fabricator place inserts on the top for utensils. A nice four foot shelf will run you less than $100 and will be water, steam, grease and fire resistant, and easier to clean than wood.
    Regards,

Tom

IMO you should forgo this idea b/c its going to get covered with grease and grime & reaching over the top of a stove isn't necessarily a good idea, anyway.

But if you're bound to do it, MDF would be a bad choice. The best would be a stainless steel wire rack or shelf as mentioned.

My suggestion is to install a good exhaust hood (min 750CFM).
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 01-22-2021 at 7:44 AM.

If I had to do this, aside from stainless steel I'd be thinking tempered glass (safe to 470 Degrees F) which is easy to clean. I doubt anything else is up to code, and if there's a fire gives your insurance company an excuse to refuse compensation.
    Just a Duffer

How many burners? Clearance is computed from the maximum output of the stove.

I would not recommend MDF in this application.

https://www.plumbingwebconnection.co...as_ranges.html

I'm glad to read that you have removed the microwave from it's high perch. Hot food should never be handled above chest height. I'm surprised that code allows it. Well, pizza ovens make sense, but hot soup can cause serious burns.