Thread: painting maple burned by saw blade

painting maple burned by saw blade

I ripped some maple for plywood edge treatment and wound up with burn marks. Next time I'll take more care. Anyway the plan is to paint the edge treatment. Do I need to sand off the burn or will some kind of primer (kilz, etc.) provide sufficient coverage?

Kilz is good stuff, sounds necessary unless you are using dark paint.

I would think shellac would be a good candidate as well.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Can a hand plane whisk off the burn?

Were you using a combination blade on your table saw? I've had recent issues when using a combination blade to rip maple. I believe I need to use a rip blade to clear out chips and dust better. I've sanded to remove the burn marks.

My opinion and my practice whenever possible is to remove the burn marks, either via sanding or with a scraper and/or a hand plane. A stain blocking primer can certainly help but there's still no guarantee that the color will be consistent.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

BIN shellac based primer ;-)

But its easy to remove them with a very light pass through the table saw or with a block plane. Don't use sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    BIN shellac based primer ;-)

But its easy to remove them with a very light pass through the table saw or with a block plane. Don't use sandpaper.
    I can use a plane as you suggest but just curious as to what’s the issue with sanding.

A well tuned and very sharp plane will leave a smoother surface that doesn't generally need much sanding at all.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...