Thread: HELP! Steel City Bandsaw, need at least one replacement part....

Question HELP! Steel City Bandsaw, need at least one replacement part....

I have the 14" Steel City with Riser. Had it for years, but never used it a whole lot. Never thought it ran well. So finally starting to tune it up and see if will run decently. Replaced their guides with Carter guides. Realized it wasn't releasing the tension. I finally got it to release about 1/4" but I have to do it forcefully. Would tension fine, but never slide down. Well it's cracked so it's probably jamming. I just doesn't slide out like you see in videos. It is out now, but it was banged on to get it to move. It's not usable ever again, nor with the original cracks should it be used ever again.

So I need to find a replacement, but since they don't exist anymore I can't find any. I assume that many bandsaw brands use similar tensioner brackets.

The Manual calls the piece I need SLIDING BRACKET with a part number of OR73535.

Saw Model = 50100

I've seen images for Delta and Jet parts that look the same but who knows if they will be a match.

Anyone have any thoughts on finding parts?

bstensioner2.jpg bstensioner1.jpg
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Jim have you tried googling Steel city. About a year ago they had a website and were still around, apparently had been bought by a new company. I checked out the site at that time and there was an extensive array of machinery. Pretty sure it was a Canadian company, I think it was in Quebec. Not sure about parts support for the original Steel City tools.

Looks like your Steel City bandsaw is a typical 14" Delta/Rockwell clone. Try R&D Bandsaws, they sell replacement parts
    https://tufftooth.com/product/upper-...iding-bracket/ You could call Bob there to verify the dimensions.

Mike Kees: the link posted says "403 errror."

Believe at one time Iturra design sold replacement parts for the Delta band saw.

Iturra Design
    1-904-642-2802
    Toll Free: 888-722-7078
    Email: KALLL@comcast.net
    4636 Fulton Road
    Jacksonville, Florida 32225-1332

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Mike Kees: the link posted says "403 errror."

Believe at one time Iturra design sold replacement parts for the Delta band saw.

Iturra Design
    1-904-642-2802
    Toll Free: 888-722-7078
    Email: KALLL@comcast.net
    4636 Fulton Road
    Jacksonville, Florida 32225-1332
    Just a clarification, the tufftooth link works and R&D Bandsaws area great Canadian company to deal with and they definitely carry Delta clone parts, no offence meant to Iturra, I have no experience with them.

Blog Entries
    That part looks identical to the Delta 14" Band saw I have.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    That part looks identical to the Delta 14" Band saw I have.
    Yeah mine too and I replaced that part on my old clone with the part I linked.

I have one coming from a local source (Crossing fingers). Couldn't even call Canada, wasn't allowed. Buddy couldn't do it either. Hopefully the USPS doesn't take too long, it's only 1.75 hr drive away from me.

Just tried that link and did not work for me either. Googled steel city tools and Normand is the website at the top of the list ,click on it and I was in. Steel City everything. Jim not sure why you could not call here, makes no sense. I have a brother that lives in Idaho and have talked to him recently.
    Last edited by Mike Kees; 01-15-2021 at 9:52 AM.

Replacement part does and does not work. See attached pictures. Their is one slight difference.....the tube for the spring and tensioner rod extends 3/8" farther than the bracket. Which at first I was like, so what........but that 3/8" helped the bracket for the wheel camber to not interfere with the casework. It raises fine, but binds on the case so the tension won't release back.

Jerry at Normad didn't have anything that matched it, but gave me some other ideas to look at. Says the Steel City 50125 saw may have used the same mechanism, although their manual shows pictures with each style in it. Also said, the same style was sold in the Ridgid line but those are all obsolete.

Did email Inturra this morning, but have heard nothing back. So if I don't hear anything back, what options do I have? I'm down to cutting the casework just enough to allow that camber mechanism free movement and switching to a shorter blade. I currently have a 105" blade, so I'd guess I'd go down to a 104" blade?

Without hearing from Inturra, anyone have any thoughts...........cobbling it back together wise?
    Photo Jan 21, 9 46 54 AM.jpg Photo Jan 21, 9 47 02 AM.jpg

Trimming and shorter blade sounds good but will you need a different spring for proper tension?