Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stimulus Checks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    It is not a check. It is a debit card in a envelope that looks like junk mail. Are you sure you did not throw it out? It is not from the government or a bank, so easy to toss.
    Bill D.
    Mine was a check in an envelope got it last week

It is not a check. It is a debit card in a envelope that looks like junk mail. Are you sure you did not throw it out? It is not from the government or a bank, so easy to toss.
    Bill D.
    My understanding is that they are not using the debit cards for this round. But the previous one was from an bank that specializes in the same...just not one that most folks recognized as such.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the grocery store today, gentleman in front of me told cashier "If I had my check already, I would be buying more groceries. He said his showed as mailed on Jan 6th, same as ours. I have a feeling that government's definition of mailed and mine aren't the same. Reminds me of here in NC where a few years back, they had to refund state taxes on Federal pensions. So they mailed them on Dec 31st, along with a 1099 and instructions for going back and adjusting taxes in prior years. Being mailed on Dec 31st, meant NO ONE RECEIVED them in that year, but taxes were due for that year.

Blog Entries
    A few things come to mind on mailed checks.

Almost every online retailer using USPS has a banner warning of delays because of staff and facilities being effected by illness.

There are also other problems at the post office.

My recollection of the days when my refunds were a check they were always delivered on Saturdays. This was because more people were likely to be home on Saturdays and it cut down on checks being stolen. That could be the situation now if the USPS has been asked to deliver them only on Saturdays.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Because we file paper form taxes, our stimulus check comes by mail. IRS web site says "mailed Jan 6th. Today is the 20th, two weeks later. I'm wondering if "mailed" meant actually mailed, or processed for mailing. Two weeks seems a long time to me for a check to come from Washington DC to NC, a distance of less than 300 miles. PS, please refrain from suggesting to file electronically. There is a horror story to that thinking. Never again!
    Ours was also mailed and came yesterday the 22nd. Still confused as to why it was mailed when we do everything electronically as far as taxes are concerned.

Mine indicated mailed on January 6 as well but still haven’t received it. I file electronically via Turbo Tax. No idea why but it has allegedly caused problems with the Stimulus Check distribution. First round I eventually got a paper check which was delayed because it had to be reprinted when Trump insisted it bear his signature. That’s not the case this time so the only explanation is slow mail service. There is a provision to get it as a refund on your tax form if you don’t receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Ours was also mailed and came yesterday the 22nd. Still confused as to why it was mailed when we do everything electronically as far as taxes are concerned.
    if you have to pay in they won’t pay by direct deposit even if you paid electronically. The IRS says that you only authorized money out of your account, not money into your account.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    if you have to pay in they won’t pay by direct deposit even if you paid electronically. The IRS says that you only authorized money out of your account, not money into your account.
    The April 2020 payment was direct deposit.

Our income has not been affected by all of this and when the second check shows up it will go to help local charities that are helping those that have been affected the same as the first one did.
    Thank you! Sending stimulus checks to many of us making too much is a waste. Those who do not have needs frequently just save the money. The money is intended to be spent, primarily on goods and services to stimulate the economy, not saving accounts.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-24-2021 at 5:01 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    Thank you! Sending stimulus checks to many of us making too much is a waste. Those who do not have needs frequently just save the money. The money is intended to be spent, primarily on goods and services to stimulate the economy, not saving accounts.
    Unless you just cash it and stuff your mattress with it, saving it is stimulus—whether it’s in a bank account or as an investment, that allows someone else to borrow money to buy a house or start a business, or for a business to expand its operations. It’s just a lot more indirect.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

IRS website indicated my was mailed Jan. 6. Mine just came in today, 19 days later. So they are still hope for everyone. It was in check format.

I find it interesting that my check was also mailed on Jan 6th, but I had the check in hand five or six days later.

Bill D.
    we received a check in the mail.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post

Our income has not been affected by all of this and when the second check shows up it will go to help local charities that are helping those that have been affected the same as the first one did.
    Good on ya Lee!

When Covid started causing shutdowns, business closures and massive layoffs Linda & I lowered the rent to our tenants down to the properties mortgage levels. When the first Stimulus Checks arrived we used the windfall money to further lower the rents for the next 3 months. We will do this again when the current checks arrive. The only Covid impact to our income was/is the reduction of rental income and we firmly believe that it would be morally reprehensible to not pass the National relief along to folks who really need it to survive more than we do. We believe that this action is an integral part of being a citizen and neighbor.

Regards - Bill

Mine ended up in my bank account just when they said it would. I don't need it so I'll spend it just like I spent the last one. Right now spending it also supports the country. Even though I don't have to and the pandemic actually has increased business where I work I have cut back some on spending. Instead I've focused on paying down debt. I think it's better for consumers to decide which businesses should make it more than the federal government. The problem is that the cut off of is kind of low. $75k isn't that much depending on where you live and the amount drops pretty fast above it.