Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stimulus Checks

Stimulus Checks

Because we file paper form taxes, our stimulus check comes by mail. IRS web site says "mailed Jan 6th. Today is the 20th, two weeks later. I'm wondering if "mailed" meant actually mailed, or processed for mailing. Two weeks seems a long time to me for a check to come from Washington DC to NC, a distance of less than 300 miles. PS, please refrain from suggesting to file electronically. There is a horror story to that thinking. Never again!

I recently sent a package Priority Mail from VA to Fl.... it took 2 1/2weeks to get there.. was supposed to be 2 days...

We are still waiting for Christmas orders from early Dec. that are somewhere in USPS...

Good luck...

We just received a package today that was mailed 2-day priority mail on Dec 17. Usps is a mess right now. I mailed a car loan payment on Dec 2. It only got cashed yesterday. Late fee waived and no penalties, but jeez.

We are getting utility bills in the mail two days after they are suppose to be due. These statements used to come in two weeks before they are due.
    It also maybe that the local utilities are sending them out late so they make you start paying them online or on auto-pay to save them the paperwork and postage.

My job accounting department deposits paychecks electronically but also sends us a duplicate paper copy via mail. These use to show up the day before or the day of payday. Now they show up 3-4 days after payday.

We file paper taxes as well. If the stimulus check shows before March 1, I will be surprised. It comes when it comes.

Not as bad as a few years ago. In-laws sent a Christmas package from Virginia to Austria in last week of October. It never showed up. The in-laws went to visit in May of the following year for two weeks. The day they were planning to fly to the back to the States, the package arrived, seven months later. It had went via ship from the USA to "Australia", back to the USA and then to "Austria."
    Last edited by Rob Damon; 01-21-2021 at 1:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Because we file paper form taxes, our stimulus check comes by mail. IRS web site says "mailed Jan 6th. Today is the 20th, two weeks later. I'm wondering if "mailed" meant actually mailed, or processed for mailing. Two weeks seems a long time to me for a check to come from Washington DC to NC, a distance of less than 300 miles. PS, please refrain from suggesting to file electronically. There is a horror story to that thinking. Never again!
    My understanding is taxes do not have to be filed electronically to have the payment direct deposited.

If you file with paper and have direct deposit for any return then the stimulus payment is also direct deposited.

Surely there are many who enjoy a good horror story.

Surely it is exciting to have extra money show up in my account, though personally my income hasn't been affected during the past year. My feeling is it might be better to direct it toward those who have been unemployed or have had earnings cut.

In our case we tend to give it to our kids who have had hours cut or not be able to keep working.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

For the first round of stimulus checks, you could logon to the website and provide bank account information even if you had not provided such info to the IRS prior. It was durable, so our 2nd stimulus payments showed up in the account January 4th. I don't know if you can still do that.

According to my accountant daughter, the first round of stimulus was based on your 2018 taxes (which was a direct-deposit refund). The second round of stimulus was based on 2019 taxes (on which we paid a large-to-us sum, so no DD info was on the return—a check was mailed).

In other words, if you had DD info on your tax return for 2018, the stimulus was e-deposited, otherwise it was mailed. If you had DD info on your 2019 return, the stimulus was e-deposited, otherwise mailed. With both, I think you could have entered your DD info on the IRS website and gotten e-deposit stimulus regardless of what was on your return.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    According to my accountant daughter, the first round of stimulus was based on your 2018 taxes (which was a direct-deposit refund). The second round of stimulus was based on 2019 taxes (on which we paid a large-to-us sum, so no DD info was on the return—a check was mailed).

In other words, if you had DD info on your tax return for 2018, the stimulus was e-deposited, otherwise it was mailed. If you had DD info on your 2019 return, the stimulus was e-deposited, otherwise mailed. With both, I think you could have entered your DD info on the IRS website and gotten e-deposit stimulus regardless of what was on your return.
    We usually have to pay and did on our 2018 return. For 2019 we got a refund (unusual since I always prefer to pay) which was direct deposited. BOTH stimulus checks were direct deposited.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    According to the IRS website if you filed in 2019 and had a refund sent by direct deposit that is how you received the first and will receive the second check. If you had to close or change your bank account, the check will still go to your old account. You cannot, for security reasons, update your bank account any way except to file your 2020 taxes.

Our income has not been affected by all of this and when the second check shows up it will go to help local charities that are helping those that have been affected the same as the first one did.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My stimulus check also showed mailed on the 6th. I got the check on the 11th or 12th.

The IRS was much more prepared this time. They had money going out within a week or so of the bill being signed.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 01-21-2021 at 7:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have no confidence that we will ever see it. It is all balderdash.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have no confidence that we will ever see it. It is all balderdash.
    Are you sure it isn't flapdoodle?
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

It is not a check. It is a debit card in a envelope that looks like junk mail. Are you sure you did not throw it out? It is not from the government or a bank, so easy to toss.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    It is not a check. It is a debit card in a envelope that looks like junk mail. Are you sure you did not throw it out? It is not from the government or a bank, so easy to toss.
    Bill D.
    When ever there is something stiff in a piece of mail, it is checked before tossing it to the recycling bin. The plastic cards are not good for the recyclers. They do make good scrapers in the kitchen for cleaning glass baking pans. They are also good in the shop for shims, spreading and/or scraping glue. There are a few in my bedroom used for bookmarks or shoe horns. They are aslo good for scraping frost off of car windows on cold mornings.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Surely it is exciting to have extra money show up in my account, though personally my income hasn't been affected during the past year. My feeling is it might be better to direct it toward those who have been unemployed or have had earnings cut.

jtk
    I agree. Additionally, sending money to people who don't need it means that they generally don't spend it so it doesn't stimulate the economy. But I suppose trying to determine who the people are "who really need it" is extremely difficult so they just send it to everyone.

One way might be to increase the unemployment insurance payments. Those payments are almost certain to be spent.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.