Thread: Delta 37-714-Opportunity to Buy, Good Deal

Delta 37-714-Opportunity to Buy, Good Deal

B5C652C3-0B8E-401C-A563-14F0751A7517.jpg1C45CEDD-1219-4058-AAFF-25A6A2253E1E.jpgI found a used Delta 37-714 for sale locally. It is currently set-up for 110, has some surface rust on the table, and appears to have a 52" Beismeyer Fence. They are asking $750

I have NO expeirence with this type of saw (always used contractor type saws). The fence is actually too big for me and my space. I hate to even suggest this, but could it be shortened, or replaced with a shorter model/version?

Is this a good deal? I dont think it has a Riving Knife which is pretty important to me. Can on be added?

Thanks!
    Last edited by peter lent; 01-20-2021 at 9:15 PM. Reason: Added photos

no idea. Maybe a 36-714? Is it a tablesaw?

1.75 hp? Probably because it will run on 120v.
    Was 1000 new but not sure which fence. I would offer 400.
    found these links that will help.
    https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7318795

Email the guy in this article about parts and see if he knows which items fail.

https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/v...an-spare-part/
    Last edited by Bruce King; 01-20-2021 at 10:37 PM.

It's a good saw design, Biesemeyer is really. I have a few tablesaws, for some reason I seem to be a clearing house locally for them. The Delta cabinet saw is my favorite, I have bought and sold several. To that end, here they trade in the $500 range with good examples possibly going higher if good blades or accessories are included. This one has a cosmetic issue with the rust, I would not pay $750. Nothing in that building is being used, they just want rid of it, do them a favor and offer $400 to get the rusty thing out of their way.

As for the fence, I would definitely not cut it. It's a perfect place to put a router lift or just use an assembly table. The saw fence works well as a router table fence too, just slide it on over. If you cut it, you'll likely regret it. There are some add on riving knife options, I'm not familiar with them, so no opinion.

Amazon sells the Biesemeyer rails only (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I swapped these for the original 52" rails on my saw, only issue was the front angle bracket sits a little lower with the new rails. Some shim washers between the angle and box tube fixed that

There's nothing sacred about the fence. The tube is just 2" X 3" or something like that, you could buy a replacement at a steel supplier. I have a G1023 with a shortened Mule Cab fence. 27" to the right of the blade containing a router table. That fits in the space I have for it and on wheels. If I need to cut sheet goods wider than that I use a portable saw with guide. Trying to handle 4 X 8 sheet goods by myself doesn't work. For assembly work I have an assembly table with folding feet. I can prop it against the wall when not in use.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-21-2021 at 9:16 AM.

It's a nice saw. The price being asked is substantially higher than I would pay...I agree with Bruce to offer $400 and maybe settle at $500 if necessary. No issues with the fence...many folks routinely shorten things on the right side. 1.75 HP is because of the dual voltage capability. It's just a rectangular steel tube that's easily cut with a hack-saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks All. I will see if we can make a deal. I had a figure between $400-$500 in my head. We will see what happens.

Thanks as always!

Pete

Blog Entries
    FWW, I had a 52" fence & went to a 36". It has a router table in the end & it's plenty big enough. When I need the full rip capacity, I just make sure there isn't a router bit sticking up in the way.