Thread: Stained Glass Jig

Stained Glass Jig

I thought I would share a picture of a jig I made using the CNC. I am making a number of stained glass panels and I wanted to have a repeatable method to make the glass pieces. It turned out I had some aluminum extrusions kicking around, so I used those. Looking some more around the shop I found some linear bearings for a project that stalled. I didn't want to buy a full sheet of aluminum or order in a half sheet so I used some 3/8"x4" scrap from the bin. The joint where the two intersect is a half lap. I don't have a drill head for my machine, but drilling/tapping was pretty darn easy since the CNC made all the center points. The biggest nuisance to these projects is the cleanup. The coolant and chips seem to find there way into everything. Anyway, just a silly little project I thought I would share.
    stained_glass-jig.jpg

That fixture fabbed up really nicely!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very clean, Brad! Good job.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Thanks guys. I was pleased how it turned out, and it works well. I had just done some aluminum engraving for someone not long ago and had just got the table clean. Oh well. It will take a bit more practice to get the stained glass nearly perfect. With all the little pieces it is easy for the panel to grow and big ugly gaps take a bit of patience to solder. Great fun none the less.