Thread: Milliput Puty

Milliput Puty

I know turners use this alot so thought I would ask question here. Has anyone who used this epoxy puty, found a good source that has decent prices?? I am seeing the pricing all over the place and nothing consistant. Afraid to order off ebay without knowing vendor. I am looking for all colors for various projects I have in mind. Thanks in advance.
    John T.

Amazon has it. Not sure how many colors but I got it from them.

I never heard of it - what do you use it for and how? Thanks, David

Quote Originally Posted by David Metzman View Post
    I never heard of it - what do you use it for and how? Thanks, David

It's a 2 part epoxy putty that comes in some limited colors. You can use it to fill voids, either natural ones or inlays you make your self. Once hardened, it can be turned. I've seem some pieces that look real nice, especially the black epoxy. Just google milliput turnings.

A YouTuber with the channel name of "Jimson's Stuff" has done a lot of very creative and high-quality work with Milliput.

The advantage of Milliput over casting resins is ease of use. When filling a void with a casting resin, you may need to use a mold or build some kind of dam to keep the resin where you want it and away from where you don't want it. As a putty, Milliput avoids this problem. As a putty, you can simply apply it where you want it and not fear that the Milliput will migrate somewhere else. This also permits you to create patterns by using more than one color of Milliput -- like you may have seen done with polymer clays.

The downsides are Milliput is opaque and only comes in very limited colors -- yellow-grey, silver-grey, black, white, and terracotta. Milliput's colors are not nearly as vibrant as you can get from a casting resin. So, casting resins give you a lot more flexibility in the visual effect. You can better match the color of the blank, to help make the repair disappear. Or, do be as creative as you like in color(s).
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona