Thread: Can Anyone help Identify the Maker of this Table?

Can Anyone help Identify the Maker of this Table?

Hey all,

I can't make out the maker of this table I own. It appears to read "Bruno Molteni", but I don't see anything when I Google that.
    I also can't make out the rest of the lettering. Can anyone, or is anyone familiar with this maker?

When I bought it (consignment shop), they told me it was South American mahogany. There's an area where the veneer is chipped off, and it does look like mahogany. The veneer looks to me like rosewood, though I'm not sure.

https://imgur.com/a/maLCHev

Thank you.

I have worked with quite a bit of mahogany, and from many parts of the World. To me, that photo looks very much like South American or African mahogany, which is more brown than much of the other mahoganies of the World. This site might be of help to you, if you want comparison photos to look at.

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Charley

Some furniture stores have ...or used to have their own shops that sold only copies of old pieces of merit. To make the
    stuff more "authenticky" ....and track "who botched this?" They had a policy of making the guys who worked in final
    sanding and finish prep sign everything they worked on. It is possible that is why your piece has two names, so all I
    can suggest is look for both names.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Some furniture stores have ...or used to have their own shops that sold only copies of old pieces of merit. To make the
    stuff more "authenticky" ....and track "who botched this?" They had a policy of making the guys who worked in final
    sanding and finish prep sign everything they worked on. It is possible that is why your piece has two names, so all I
    can suggest is look for both names.
    From what I researched today, the maker is Molteni. They had a designer named Bruno Fattorini make pieces for them in the early 90s. My guess is that's why it says "Bruno Molteni".
    The design of the table fits the look of that company and his other work.

About his name (in the middle) it says "fabrica in" and I can't read the rest. I think in this sense "fabrica" means "made", as in "fabricated".

The bottom line I can't read at all.

I wrote Molteni to ask them for any info. Apparently their furniture sells for a lot of money, so it would be good to know what this is. I paid $80 for it in a consignment shop about 12 years ago.