Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MATCHFIT Dovetail Clamps

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Seng View Post
    I knew that Cisco made routers but that's the first Cisco tablesaw I've seen
    LOL...my nemesis for many years.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think t-track works good and so does the Matchfit. But with t- track your limited to what you have on hand or want to use, were as with the MF dove tail groves it can be cut to size and length and then cut up and discarded (sacrificial jigs and such) with no cost (once you have the system ) and if you don’t have any t-track laying around (when you need it) you just make the MF groves for that application. So in my eyes I see a use for both.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    LOL...my nemesis for many years.
    As long as we don't have to do firmware upgrades on our tools, I'm good. If that day ever comes, I'm going back to handtools.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Seng View Post
    As long as we don't have to do firmware upgrades on our tools, I'm good. If that day ever comes, I'm going back to handtools.

Well...CNC... LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've also just recently seen the Matchfit system- they are advertising heavily on Instagram. The use of an adjustable height sit stand table is intriguing as it can serve many purposes and is mobile. I'm thinking of making one. But, I wonder about its stability. Has anyone built one of these mobile workbenches?
    The dovetail system also looks interesting but I would have a concern about it being a sawdust catcher. Probably no more than a T slot system catches sawdust but no less either. My T slots are always getting jammed up. They're easy to clean with the vacuum but a disruptive annoyance to the workflow nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    I think t-track works good and so does the Matchfit. But with t- track your limited to what you have on hand or want to use, were as with the MF dove tail groves it can be cut to size and length and then cut up and discarded (sacrificial jigs and such) with no cost (once you have the system ) and if you don’t have any t-track laying around (when you need it) you just make the MF groves for that application. So in my eyes I see a use for both.

Richard
    If you don't have any T-track laying around then you can make your own T-slot with a router bit (similar to dovetail slots) or a combination of router bits or gluing boards on top of each other as in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxNS9ulGlpo
    Last edited by Johnny Barr; 01-26-2021 at 4:34 AM.

i like the clamps but in all honestly i personally think they are too expensive,,,its more of a gimic than anything else,,that being said i dont like the gripper either,,i had one and called mine the slipper,,i sold mine for 30 dollars,,,but i will say micro jig customer service is top notch,,,i called them about the gripper and told them mine was the slipper and they sent me new pads free of charge and was very polite and said they hated i had that trouble with their product,,but needless to say it was no better,,,so i sold it,,,

Regarding expense: you can get 4 of the original design clamps for $90 which doesn't seem that bad to me. Especially when you consider the clamps can be used like the Festool quick clamp...slide the foot through a hole in a MFT type top and clamp whatever you want, in addition to being used with the dovetail slots. They are not quite as spiffy as the festool clamp, but at roughly half the price are fully functional and easy to use in that manner.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    ...the clamps can be used like the Festool quick clamp...slide the foot through a hole in a MFT type top and clamp whatever you want, in addition to being used with the dovetail slots. They are not quite as spiffy as the festool clamp, but at roughly half the price are fully functional and easy to use in that manner.
    That's what I use mine for! I'm sure I'll get around to cutting the dovetail slots into some jigs (someday)... but for now, they work great with my Paulk MFT style workbench!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Regarding expense: you can get 4 of the original design clamps for $90 which doesn't seem that bad to me. Especially when you consider the clamps can be used like the Festool quick clamp...slide the foot through a hole in a MFT type top and clamp whatever you want, in addition to being used with the dovetail slots. They are not quite as spiffy as the festool clamp, but at roughly half the price are fully functional and easy to use in that manner.
    Does anyone know if the reverse is also true ... that is, do the Festool clamps work in the dovetail slots in the same way the match fit clamps do?
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry