Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MATCHFIT Dovetail Clamps

MATCHFIT Dovetail Clamps

I was just surfing the net when I came across the MATCHFIT Dovetail Clamps for the first time. I don't think I was under a rock for any length of time, BUT??. The concept is very interesting. Not so much, for me anyway, are cutting a bunch of dovetails, but those green round caps for clamping have got me intrigued!
    My main question is, has anyone used this system, has it been out there awhile or what.
    Questions, questions, curious minds need to know.
    Thanks, Ed

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1000_.jpg

I've been planning to do post on a jig I made using the system. But here's a photo as an appetizer:

IMG_0941a.jpg

That pic shows my jig set up to let me cut multiple accurately placed domino mortises on 16 legs for two desks I'm building.

I think it's a great system for multipurpose jigs like the one in the pic. If you decide to jump in, do use either a table saw with dado or router and straight bit to plow out most of the waste before using the dovetail bit.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I've been planning to do post on a jig I made using the system.

That pic shows my jig set up to let me cut multiple accurately placed domino mortises on 16 legs for two desks I'm building.

I think it's a great system for multipurpose jigs like the one in the pic. If you decide to jump in, do use either a table saw with dado or router and straight bit to plow out most of the waste before using the dovetail bit.
    I got a set for Christmas but havent even opened the box yet. Will look forwward to your upcoming post! I know Derek Cohen speaks well of them too.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Great for tall fences on TS, BS, and router table. That’s for starters.

Blog Entries
    I use matchfit here and there for odd things. I use it primarily for my cross cut table saw.

Matchfit-Sled (27).jpg

This gives me a safe way to cut all sorts of odd angles on smaller stock along with an initial straight cut on questionable panels of reasonable size.

MM-Assm-tbl (12).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-20-2021 at 9:57 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have them and think they are great. They make jigs very easy and fast. I have a taper sled - well a piece of 3/4 plywood 11x36 with the grooves in both directions. Using the hardware from them, I put stops on with scrap pieces of plywood, the clamps to hold the piece, and get a jig for any angle. It's also good for straight line cuts when you need it. I also use it with jigs for routing patterns instead of Destaco clamps. I also made a basic plywood box for work holding and use the clamps on it. I really like them.

just make sure your router table fence does not move when cutting the last dovetail slot . I guess I didn't lock it down all the way and now have one slot that is useless.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rambour View Post
    just make sure your router table fence does not move when cutting the last dovetail slot . I guess I didn't lock it down all the way and now have one slot that is useless.
    Epoxy and a re-cut?

– Samuel Butler

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I knew that Cisco made routers but that's the first Cisco tablesaw I've seen

I have some but I literally have never used them. I can see they would be useful for some things but I haven't taken the time to cut the dovetail groove for them in any jigs so far.

I made my drill press table & fence using the system. None of it is what I would call heavy duty but appears to more than adequate for jig use.

OK I'll add a negative personal view.
    A dovetail slot is limited to what clamps, bolts and fixtures you can use. You have basically got to use Microjig's. T-Track or equivalents on the other hand give you access to clamps from Bessey, Kreg, Armor tool etc (or make your own ) and some of these clamps have auto adjust technology and they swivel 360 degrees which means you don't need as many slots. For example, I've seen drill press tables and crosscut sleds (see photo above) that have 10 dovetail slots or more where as my drill press table has two T-track slots which covers the movement of the fence as well as hold downs. Where I come from T-Track is not expensive but if you do find it expensive then you can make your own using a router bit(s) and still have access to all those clamps I mentioned above. A slot for a purchased T-Track can also be made with a dado stack. T-Track also allows the use of ordinary bolts and T-bolts costing well below a $1 compared with Microjig's bolts costing a few dollars. Yes you can use the common bolts in a dovetail slot but I would imagine over time they would degrade the slot. I guess you could use an angle grinder to shape these bolts into a dovetail that would fit more snuggly. Even things like sacrificial fences on a table saw can use inexpensive universal clamps where you simply drill a hole rather than routing out a slot.
    I can see some uses for dovetail slots and I know some users love them but in my case I find T-tracks or equivalents and their clamps/bolts far more versatile and way less expensive.
    Last edited by Johnny Barr; 01-22-2021 at 5:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Seng View Post
    I knew that Cisco made routers but that's the first Cisco tablesaw I've seen

They're great; MTBF is 44 years

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I have some but I literally have never used them. I can see they would be useful for some things but I haven't taken the time to cut the dovetail groove for them in any jigs so far.

My mailing address is . . .

– Samuel Butler

Micro-Jig recently came out with a clamp pad called the "X-PAD" that can be used to clamp odd shapes or at small angles. I bought 4 of them, they seem to work. I am the process of building a new sled to use them. ​Dan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Barr View Post
    OK I'll add a negative personal view.
    In the pros and cons department I have a lot of t-track and t-track fixtures. They aren't going anywhere. The Matchfit clamps are not inexpensive but, the 5 clamps I have and a few of their plastic, studs and nuts don't begin to add up to the t-track fixtures I have.

If I were starting from scratch I might start with Matchfit and see how far it would take me. The 360 degree swiveling, auto-adjust, toggle clamps that ride in t-track are hard to beat but, they don't come cheap either. Suffice to say I have t-track (I try to stick to the 'universal' profile that takes 1/4" and 5/16"), t-slots cut into fixtures, a plethora of t-track fixtures along with the Matchfit stuff and I benefit from all of it. The few Incra things I have bug a little since they run 1/4" hardware only that sometimes seems a little light for the job. Overall both systems are beneficial and both work well.

– Samuel Butler