Thread: Which double sided tape?

Which double sided tape?

I use an L fence to cut miters on large case goods. The process works incredibly well. Currently I am gluing my cauls directly to my work surface becuase the "blue tape/CA Glue" method never holds when I apply clamping pressure to glue up the cases. What double sided tape should I use? I want to be able to reuse my cauls.

I am not familiar with what you are doing, but I have used the gorilla VHB (I think?) Double sided tape to really hold stuff / fences down. I most recently used it hold down a makeshift fence on my ceramic tile countertops, while I cut a opening for a new oven/stove. It stayed stuck the entire process and I really had use some force to remove from the countertop.

Another option might be hot glue, holds very well and a little alcohol allows it to come loose.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Spectape...............

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Boyet View Post
    I use an L fence to cut miters on large case goods. The process works incredibly well. Currently I am gluing my cauls directly to my work surface becuase the "blue tape/CA Glue" method never holds when I apply clamping pressure to glue up the cases. What double sided tape should I use? I want to be able to reuse my cauls.
    My experience has been good with the XFasten product, with templates on the router table etc. For short term use (no direct knowledge of what might happen over time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Boyet View Post
    My favorite is FastCap Speedtape: https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-STAPE.../dp/B0040C09O6 I bought 6 rolls of the 1" tape.

Unlike some double-sided tape it is a very thin film. If pressed lightly into place it is temporary and can be removed. If pressed or rolled tightly it is permanent.

I also use the thicker "turners tape" to hold even heavy things on the lathe or the milling machine. It can be removed when finished but removal takes a while.

I haven't used either of these for cauls.

JKJ

Cary suggested SpecTape which is what I use. It works very well. I purchased it from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    Another option might be hot glue, holds very well and a little alcohol allows it to come loose.
    I use hot glue a lot for template routing. I've never tried the alcohol trick. What flavor?

Thanks,
    Stan

Hi Stan,

What I have in my shop is denatured alcohol but I imagine isopropyl alcohol would work.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

What is this L fence?

I glue mine on with a strip of printer paper in the middle. They peel right off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spectape makes two types of 1in wide tape. One is cloth backed and the other paper backed. I prefer the paper because I can rip it by hand without having to resort to scissors. The Xfasten tape must be cut, and bunches easily and gums up the scissors. You are correct if you think I don’t care for it, but it works for large applications IMO because it is cheap.
    Last edited by Bernie Kopfer; 01-23-2021 at 5:30 PM.

I also use X tape and like it b/c it is easy to remove and doesn't leave a residue. I've heard about Spec tape but never tried it.

Speed tape is a permanent tape you may have more difficulty pulling things apart.