Thread: Bloodwood

Bloodwood

Anyone milled bloodwood? I've read it's tough on the cutters but how tough?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Only a few passes of a 3x3x12 block over the jointer. The block came out smooth with no tearout.

(And for spellcheck fans, no tarot either.)

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Anyone milled bloodwood? I've read it's tough on the cutters but how tough?

I've milled a fair amount when I worked at a lumber company. It's very hard on HSS and sandpaper. Seems to be very resinous.
    I've resawn a lot of it. It's was very hard on the steel resaw blades we used (not carbide).
    I usually saved the Bloodwood & Bubinga til last when re-sawing to save the blade.
    It would burn belts on the wide belt sander very easily also. Good technique would mitigate the life of the belts though.
    Carbide saw blades seemed to hold up pretty good. It won't ruin HSS and it probably will last relatively good on small amounts.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 01-19-2021 at 8:14 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Thanks for the replies. I've been wondering if it's hard enough to break the carbide inserts on my JP and if I should save that work for the end. I've got some inserts on order but they are back ordered right now and I have no idea when they will be back in stock.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I've been wondering if it's hard enough to break the carbide inserts on my JP and if I should save that work for the end. I've got some inserts on order but they are back ordered right now and I have no idea when they will be back in stock.

You'll be good. Very slim chance of breaking a insert. You'd have to run a lot to even be able to tell it's dull.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford