Thread: Dust Collection box for Jessem Mast-R-Lift Excel II Table

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana

Dust Collection box for Jessem Mast-R-Lift Excel II Table

Hey Folks,

Hopefully a quick easy question. I'm about to make an under table dust collection box for my Jessem Mast-R-Lift Excel II Table. I have the basic plan figured out, and then I ran across a Youtube video from Ed Stiles in which he demonstrated using a dedicated outside air (from outside the box) source directed to the "top" of the router - so that the air it's pulling in isn't full of dust. Basically a short piece of 4" air hose connected to the "top" of the router with the other end terminating outside the dust collection box. (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIzyEHZz3z0 beginning at approximately 6:55) It makes sense at the logical level, but seems to be a rare design feature and I'm wondering if that feature is un-necessary overkill in practical terms. I.E. - does the outside air coming from the standard vent hole(s) in the box and the air movement from the dust collector draw keep the dust levels in the box at a low enough level that you're really not drawing the dust through the router. Using a Bosch 1617 just for reference.

Thanks for any insights, opinions and real world experience.
    Last edited by Dave Seng; 01-19-2021 at 4:53 PM. Reason: added link

I don't fully understand this concept, but here's my homemade box, made out of a melamine shelf from Home Depot, encasing the same lift and router as you have. This sits in the end of my SawStop.

I also used the sides of the box for storage for the Incra router fence components.

The router table is melamine MDF, so I used 2" metal L brackets to mount the box to the table.

4" vacuum port on the bottom.

Door for front of box, held i place by magnets. Sliding door to allow air to be plumed in.

Front with door removed

Door in place

Hi Chris,

Your photos make it easier to describe - in the photo that shows the router top(bottom) and the hole below it (second to the last photo), imagine running a 4 inch hose from the router air intake (basically the end of the router covered by the hose) straight down thru the hole below it. The purpose of that is to provide clean outside air into the body of the router. Then there'd be another 4 inch hole in the box for the dust collection. Hopefully that makes it easier to picture. Appreciate the photos and description - that'll help my build.

Ok, I'm with you now.

Interesting idea, but I have to say using Rockler steel router dust box (LINK) the PC7516 thats been in there for years in my setup doesnt seem to have any dust in the motor.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thanks Ben. I suspect that the vast majority of below the table dust boxes don't have (or need) this extra bit of ventilation, but thought that it would be wise to ask. There's a LOT more experience amongst this group than any one of us will ever have.

As a side note to your idea, I did once cut some Delrin on my router table and after a while my router started stuttering and shutting down.

I guess the chips where getting into the bushes and insulating them and so stooping the motor.

I had to take the motor apart and blow it out. Worked fine after that, but providing the motor with a debris clean source of air probably would have solved this problem.