Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to look for used tools?

Where to look for used tools?

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new jointer (probably 12", but maybe 8") and have been watching the usual places (Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, here) for a weeks without much luck. I'm also checking government auctions (GovDeals), Woodweb, SCM and Felder user groups, and regional machinery dealers (Hermance, RT Machine).

My question is am I missing any other places to watch for machines? I will say that I am hesitant to purchase anything without being able to inspect it first. My willingness to drive several hours depends on the likelihood of finding a good machine at the other end. For example, a SCM jointer is more likely to have flat tables than a Grizzly. However, I am not set on a particular manufacturer.

Thanks!

It really depends on what you are looking for. There are plenty of industrial sites, but all the machines will be three-phase or possibly too large for what you need. Maybe you know this already. I would search Machinerymax.

Also, I seem to get offered used machinery almost any time I walk into any small or medium sized cabinet shop. Always some machine they want to get rid of. That's 100% boots on the ground, though.

Erik
    Last edited by Erik Loza; 01-19-2021 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added something
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I often look on IRS Auctions (not the government IRS). But you rarely have a chance to operate the equipment. If you want to see it first hand you will need to set up an appointment. But the prices should reflect not being able to test it out. If the bidding gets too high just drop out. I think they routinely have auctions in York PA, which might be close to you.

I have been watching online auctions around Minneapolis for some time now. I keep an eye out for things for my hobbies including woodworking.

Power tools have been going for ridiculous prices. Tools seem to be going for about 75% of retail price.

Alex,

Yep, I have been watching that site as well. I forgot to add it to my list. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I often look on IRS Auctions (not the government IRS). But you rarely have a chance to operate the equipment. If you want to see it first hand you will need to set up an appointment. But the prices should reflect not being able to test it out. If the bidding gets too high just drop out. I think they routinely have auctions in York PA, which might be close to you.

Will,

I've noticed this as well. A few items have popped up outside my area for more than I was willing to spend.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Will Allen View Post
    I have been watching online auctions around Minneapolis for some time now. I keep an eye out for things for my hobbies including woodworking.

Power tools have been going for ridiculous prices. Tools seem to be going for about 75% of retail price.

Thanks Erik. I've looked at MachineryMax because I do have an interest in used SCM/MiniMax equipment.

If you think used power tools are going for a lot, high end used hand tools like Lie-Nielsen and equivalent are being bid up on eBay to 2-3 times their new retail prices. Obviously this craziness is a result of the limited production capacity due to the pandemic, but still...

Stephen is right, the hand tool market right now is nuts.

I feel like you werent paying too close attention to IRS, because they just had a consolidated auction in York around the first of the year, and i swear it included a 12" jointer. Maybe it sold higher than you wanted? I watched that auction for the Martin t75 that was missing its rip fence. Still, solid deal on that slider for $375. In my opinion/experience of watching the used market the last 6ish years, 12ers should pop up every other month within a 50-100 mile radius of most metro areas, but 16"+ might be only a couple each year. It took me 8-12 months to find a 20" with tersa head, and in that time frame i only saw two other machines listed. One was a Kolle in California(wrong coast for me) for $7500, and another was a near new Martin T54 on woodweb for $11,000. I believe there is a T53 or T54 on woodweb currently, if you are into that sort of thing.

How about this machine? Bigger than you want, but a heavy build and good make. Single owner, so you know it hasnt seen too much use.
    Jointer Griggio 17'' - tools - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)

This one might be a better fit given its size and price
    12" Industrial Woodworking Jointer - tools - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)

Or, you can just get your last machine first with this 24"er. I havent seen one this wide in about a year.
    Jointer - tools - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
    Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new jointer (probably 12", but maybe 8") and have been watching the usual places (Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, here) for a weeks without much luck. I'm also checking government auctions (GovDeals), Woodweb, SCM and Felder user groups, and regional machinery dealers (Hermance, RT Machine).

My question is am I missing any other places to watch for machines? I will say that I am hesitant to purchase anything without being able to inspect it first. My willingness to drive several hours depends on the likelihood of finding a good machine at the other end. For example, a SCM jointer is more likely to have flat tables than a Grizzly. However, I am not set on a particular manufacturer.

Thanks!
    How cheap are you trying to find? There have been a bunch lately on marketplace and I'm looking for equipment in your same general area.

The small pm/delta/grizzly stuff is not lasting very long. The larger industrial sized equipment doesn't seem to be selling as fast or high as the hobby level stuff(relatively speaking)

Imho id get that 24 Patrick posted.
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 01-19-2021 at 5:58 PM.

I would like to suggest that when you search places like Craigslist miss spell the word jointer. I know this will upset the word workers on this forum. Suggesting a pathway away from proper grammar
    I searched more then a year for my Jointer and that was before the China virus. I expect it far more difficult today.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    If you think used power tools are going for a lot, high end used hand tools like Lie-Nielsen and equivalent are being bid up on eBay to 2-3 times their new retail prices. Obviously this craziness is a result of the limited production capacity due to the pandemic, but still...
    Hmm, maybe it's time to thin the herd...

Patience and luck. You are looking at the right places.

David, if you're not already doing so, save your Craigslist search(es) and set up a notification to your email. I use a fairly wide search distance. While I'm unlikely to drive 200 miles to look at something, it's been helpful to get a feel for the overall market. Check your email regularly and move quickly when you see something you like. I've picked up some nice tools this way, including a 12 inch SCM jointer from near your area this summer Also, whenever I have a long upcoming trip (not a particularly common event these days), I do a quick search of all the markets along the way. I've gotten some nice smaller stuff that way. Good luck.

Use search tempest to search multiple craigslist areas in one go. Consider cost of transport and do you trust the shipper not to break the tables on a jointer. I hate ebay sellers who will not ship and no way to eliminate non shippers from search results. I understand the no shipment on huge stuff but not a motor or something small but heavy.
    Bill D